Mostly Harmless Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

SCSI CD drive problems

Hi all,

Was going through this with Harisson on his CF thread but thought I better start a new one as I didn't want to hijack his thread.

I have an issue setting up my SCSI CD drive Here goes,

I am having problems getting the drive connected. Digging around I think I may have found the issue but i'm not sure. The CD0 file that I double click confirms that it is already mounted (this wasn't in the DEVS\DOSDrivers folder so it must be starting another way). I understand I need to edit this so I have the correct name and SCSI ID that the unit is configured to. However the name is what is causing me issues. This reads,

xxxx.device

My question is do I need a specific .device file to use with the CD-ROM drive? By default this is setup as scsi.device but I have no scsi.device in the DEVS\DOSDrivers folder. There dosen't seem to be anything related to CD drives either e.g. cdrom.device. I have a PCMCIA card which does have a compactflash.device file so I am assuming I do need a .device file for the CD_ROM drive. Does this sound correct? If so do you know where I can get one? I have checked Aminet but there dosen't appear to be anything there. There is nothing with the Blizzard SCSI driver that I can see. Checked the Phase5 web site and there dosen't seem to be anything there either

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    When you installed the SCSI drivers disk for your Blizzard card it would have installed the device driver for the card, to use with your CD drive. This is called 1230scsi.device edit your CDO icon's device types and add this in. Then place the CDO device driver into your DEVS/DOSDrivers directory and reboot your Amiga. This will automatically mount the device so you can then just pop a CD in the drive and it will auto mount onto the workbench desktop.

Other setup details if needed are in the manual found at: http://phase5.a1k.org/files/blizzard_scsi_kit_iv_en.pdf

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thnaks Harrison. Bit more progress but still can't get the damn thing to work. I edited the CD0 to read 1230scsi.device and rebooted. Before the Workbench screen loaded I could see the cd-rom LED light up so the OS was talking to it. However once in Workbench no icon appeared. Opened up a shell and typed CD0: but received "unknown command" Tried to mount the device using the MSDOSMount utility but received a "Open Device failed". Just to make sure, I have teminated the cd-rom locally using a jumper and also manually set it to ID 1 using another jumper. Made sure Unit was selected as 1 in the CD0 file but no joy. Opening the blizzard scsi tool I cannot see the device in the list. If I click the "Rescan" button the cd-rom LED lights up (like it does on boot up) but nothing appears in the list. Do you think maybe the cd-rom drive is incompatible? I cannot see what other configuration option to try? The drive is a 12x Toshiba. Cheers

Downloads
    Uploads

OK so it was my fault all along Stripeed the miggy down to check connections. It appears that I installe the ribbon cable round the wrong way on the 26 pin SCSI card. That's a whole weekend down the drain. Oh well least it's sorted out. Thanks Harrison for your help: