Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Exclamation Classicamiga forums major update schedule

The Classicamiga forums will be undergoing a major update starting this evening, 8th June 2010.

During this update the forums will be going offline and may be unavailable for up to 2 days while this work is carried out. During this update I will be performing a major upgrade to the forum software to the latest vBulletin 4 release.

If during this update you need to contact me, please use the main site or my email address dave@classicamiga.com

New features

Many new features and changes will be added to the forums with this update. Among these will be the ability for members to create their own blogs, and for the forums to have an integrated content management frontend, allowing members to participate in creating guides, faqs and other articles for classicamiga, and linking these articles to discussion threads in the forum.

Removing features

Some old features that we no longer need, such as the Pager messaging system are being removed during this update. Also going will be the credits, forum money, system, as we don't really need it and it was only ever another number to keep trying to increase for each member.

This will also mean that while the arcade will be staying, members will no longer have to use credits to pay to play the games. Instead trying to get the high scores will be the goal. And with that in mind all current high score are going to be reset to 0 so everyone will have the chance to post new high scores again!

Return of some old favourites

Once the update is complete I would like to see the return of the game, quiz and poster of the month competitions. Along with the awards, and maybe more ideas for other things we could do. This is something I will need some help with running and we can discuss and explore this once the upgrade is completed.

I look forward to presenting you all with the new and improved Classicamiga forums.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

For those who dare! ClassicWB dev
    VIP
    Forum Mod
    Chopper Challenge Champion, The Collector Champion, BombJack Arcade Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Paintballing - Assault Champion, Tower 13 - Adventures In Body Saving Champion, Himalayaya Champion, Sea Dogs Champion, Yeti Sports 1- Long Shot Version Champion, Operation Switchover Champion Bloodwych's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hope it all goes smoothly for you!

I think some members will be peeved to be loosing their hi-scores - some series hours will have been put into getting those!!!

It will be nice I guess to give others a chance, as some scores seem unbeatable.

The credit system was kind of fun, but I guess won't be missed.
    Live Long and Procrastinate
    A500 Batman Pack
    Classic Workbench

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah, hope everything goes fine. Although I'm not that confident that the update will only take 2 days

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I never understood what the credits were for.

Good luck with the update.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Credits are/were a money system on the site which you earned by posting and reading threads. And were spent in the arcade to play games. Also getting hiscores won you more credits. You could also use credits to by playing cards in TripleTriad.

Update will commence soon...

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    Update will commence soon...
    Usually the updates take longer than you predict, now it even takes longer to start? Did something already go wrong?

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Nope. I've so far managed to complete a lot of the stuff in the background on a mirror of the site first before I perform the actual updates today.

Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Good luck for the updates !
    A500 - A600 - A1200

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Everything went well and as you can all see the forums are back up and running.

I hope you like the updated software. It took some doing to get some of the parts from the existing site to keep working with the new version, but on the whole everything is here again.

Still to do:

1. Customise the site design. As you can see there is only a small holding logo at the top of the site. The link button design will be returning as soon as I can code it into the new template structure. Other site design updates will also take place in the next week to take the site closer to the CA design.
    2. Highscores are not saving in the arcade. Need to fix this.
    3. Add a downloads product to the site that will replace the download areas of the forum.
    4. Add a link to the mobile/retro site layout. I managed to get the mobile style working again and it is still reached at http://mobileforum.classicamiga.com
    5. ...

There are many other things to add to the to do list in the coming days.

Mostly Harmless Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Harrison, Web site looks good and is defo an improvement