Leeuwarden, Netherlands Or Hell from time to time
    Downloads
    Uploads

Are there Ultima fans on this forum

Hello everyone,

In the last two days I got Ultima 6 the False Prophet, and today Ultima 7 Complete (Ultima with all expansions) for my games collection.

Are there any other Ultima fans on this forum?

I have been playing a remake based on Ultima 5 a couple of weeks ago, this mod can be found through a link on this site; http://www.projectbritannia.com/

The mod uses the Dungeon Siege 1 game but replaces a lot of ingame material I think

The same people are now also working on Ultima 7

Marten
    [I]Earth is like a 24 hour, Seven days a week Stupidity contest which has been running for centuries.
    And every time they are ready to pronounce a winner, a new contender appears on the scene.[/I]

[I]He has seen half the universe who has not seen the house of pain (Ralph Waldo)[/I]

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I had forgotten about the Ultima 5 based Dungeon Siege 1 mod! It's full name is Ultima 5: Lazarus, and it got a good reception on release. And they are still developing Ultima 6 at the moment. I will have to check that out for sure now I've been reminded.

As I mentioned on a PM, you can also play Ultima 7 natively on current PCs, and a lot of other systems including smartphones, using Exult

Another one called Ultima IX: Redemption used the Morrowind engine, but I've not tried it yet. It's an original game, and not a remake, and is an alternative to the official Ultima IX: Ascension as most fans didn't like it, so this is the game they wanted.

They are also planning to make a new Ultima X: The new king, after completion of IX too. The official Ultima X was cancelled, so it will be great if they ever get this one completed. And it will use the Oblivion engine, so should look good.

As for the Ultma games I've played. I missed the original Ultma as I didn't own any of the 8-bit system it was released for. But I then played 2-6 on a mixture of Amiga and Atari ST (sorry Amiga fans). The ST was the only platform that saw releases of these 5 in the series, with the Amiga missing the 2nd game because it was released on the C64.

I did however very sadly miss Ultima 7 at the time. I watched its development and read all the reviews in PC magazines, but didn't own a PC at the time to play the game, or its expansions. I have gladly since played them all, and think, like many fans, that it is the best in the series to date.

By the time I had a PC again, Ultima 8 was out and I purchased it, and I did enjoy it, but it wasn't Ultima. Gone was the true party RPG, and replaced with a more "Cadaver" style game. I love this style of game though, so really enjoyed the game, but it wasn't Ultima. And I think Diablo got a lot of its ideas from this game, and this was actually one of the games that created the hack and slash, or action RPG, and not Diablo. So when people say it is a Diablo clone, they should really say an Ultima 8 clone. But due to popularity that never occurred. Strange how a game that plays nearly the same can be received so differently just because of an existing fan base, but a new one goes on to be a best seller!

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!