Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Don't worry mate, knowledge of your secret gaming collection is safe with us!

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I just had a thought though. They will be concentrating on PAL PS2 releases for the PAL region PS3. This could be very bad news for importers/downloaders of US and JAP games. Although as standard they won't work in a PAL PS3 anyway, so lets hope the modchip makes sort this out. Maybe they ould stick the US/JAP firmwares on the modchip?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Submeg View Post
    The problem is, many people have "traded" in their PS2 to get the PS3, so when it comes out they wont be able to play any games...
    My sentiments exactly... to this point i have sent the following e-mail to Sony...

Could you please let me know if you will be lifting all restrictions on the importing of japanese PS3 systems into the UK after the release of the Euro PS3, as I feel that I would so much better for myself by purchasing a system that I know will have very little difficulty in playing games that I have spent my cash on.

I feel very dissapointed in the lack of information on the software that will run on the PS3, and have no intention of buying the new system, to replace my broken ps2 (a purchase that I put off replacing because of the imminent release of the PS3) only to find out that all the new ps2 games I have purchased will not work on the system, when I know that i can then sell my games and purchase the japanese versions for less.

I would appreciate it if you could help me with this, otherwise I feel that my money may very get spent on an XBox 360

Mind you, i did forget to ask them if they had any intent of bringing out a PS3 Emulator for my PSP system
    This is not a signature

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I just went through that EU backwards compatibility list in order to sort my PS2 collection into non-working and working. The list has three grades for games that work: 'Working perfectly', having 'minor issues' and 'noticeable issues'. If the game isn't on the list, it's not working.

So, based on that list, in my collection 39% of the games don't work at all. Meaning 61% are working to an extent. Completely broken down, my list is:

30% working perfectly
    9% minor issues
    19% noticeable issues
    39% non-working

Not nearly as bad as feared, but of course not as good as 100% working.

But it's now confirmed that this move was planned all along. The PS3 really was meant to have software emulation to start with, but the NTSC models got the PS2 hardware as a last resort since the software solution wasn't ready. It's also been confirmed that the next revision of the NTSC models will also not have the PS2 hardware built in, but also go over to software emulation.

At the same time Sony has stated that though firmware upgrades may expand on that list from time to time, improving on the backwards compatibility is not a priority and is not something they will focus that much on.

So I guess it's a good idea to be hanging on to that PS2 a while longer.

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    They are not thinking very clearly are they. Lets think.....People have what system right now? A PS2. So, they have games that run on....a PS2. So when the PS3 comes out, what games will they want to play? Games from the PS2. Oh, really? Well not all of them work....Well FU. I'll go buy an Xbox then.It will be funny when Sony realise their customers arent happy that they have to wait to play a PS3, seeing as everyone has been waiting for it to be released. I dont really feel like forking out another hundred bucks for a game.
    Check out my blog - submeg.com/

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Except, look at the Xbox 360. Not many Xbox games work on an Xbox 360. Each game has to have emulation written specifically to support each title on the 360, so fans of each title have to hope and wait for the emulation for their favourite titles to be written.

The PS3 in contrast is aiming to eventually be backwardly compatible with all
    PS2 titles. Consider how long most emulators such as WinUAE have been in development, and yet they are still not perfectly emulating everything. The PS2 is a very complete system to emulate, and even though Sony have the big advantage of knowing the system inside out, it will still take a lot of work with the software emulator to fully emulate the PS2 perfectly.

And as mentioned previously, doing this via software does mean they can keep working on it and improving it and releasing new firmware with better support. Something that would not be possible if the backwards compatibility was hardware based.

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Fair enough, I didnt know that. Interesting...well it will be cool when they can get a full PS2 emulator running...
    Check out my blog - submeg.com/