Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Some bad and good news.

Hey everyone, not sure if you remember me as Nerdpower50 but anyway,

My cousin recently passed away, and he loved the Amiga. He created audio music using Sound Tracker and won a Quake event and has a signed poster, which is awesome. We used to talk about Amiga's all the time, and i always looked up to him as this amazing guy that could do anything on a computer.

Because of this, his parents gave me literally hundreds of Amiga Disks, his A500, monitor, Competition Pro joysticks, and most importantly his MOD music that he created on disk.

I would like to be able to transfer these files on to the computer and give them to his parents to listen to as an Audio CD, but I'm not sure how to do it. I know he did it at one stage, but i did not want to look through his hard drives, he has several servers in his house and there is just too much information there.

Any help is greatly appreciated. If it helps, i have a parallel cable and one that converts into a COM from parallel. He must have used it to transfer them a while back, as he made these cables. So far no luck with Amiga Explorer.
    Previously known as Nerdpower50.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That is sad to hear your cousin passed away. I would like to send my and Classicamiga's condolences and best wishes. Was he quite young?

It would be nice to make some of his audio available online for others to enjoy and allow his hard work to live on. What do you think?

As for converting the files. How are they stored? If they are mod files on standard Amiga floppy disks then it will not be too hard to get the mod files transferred to PC and then convert them into audio wav/mp3 files for burning to audio CD.

You say you haven't had any luck with Amiga Explorer. Have you tried converting the disks with the mod music on into ADF files using Amiga Explorer?

Once this is done I would do the following. Create a directory on the PC and mount it in WinUAE as a HD. Then boot Workbench up in WinUAE and once booted load each of the ADFs with the Mod files on into Workbench and copy their contents to the PC directory you mounted as a HD. Once this is done you could then quit WinUAE and you would have a directory on your PC of the mod music files.

For converting them so you can make audio CDs from them I recommend you have a look at a program called CD Master 32 as this has direct Mod to AudioCD burning support as well as the ability to convert Mods to MP3, Wav and Ogg formats.

Go to the following link to download CD Master32:

http://www.zittware.com/Products/CDM...dmaster32.html

And this link for a guide to Mod to Audio CD converting:

http://www.zittware.com/Products/CDM...onversion.html

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you so much for your help Harrison, i have got the Files into a PC folder and I'm using the program you linked me to. His music is very good and i think it would be a great idea to share it, I just don't know where i could upload it for people that want to listen.

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's very sad to hear about the loss of your cousin. I have a cousin too, who is like my brother and one of my best friends out there. We also played a lot on the amiga at the time, but he's not into amiga gaming anymore. It would be an enormous loss for me if he would pass away, so I quite understand your feelings. All my condolences Vangar.

It would be great to use your cousin's audio files, they should of course be preserved, and which better way exists, than having them on an amiga site.

For uploading: you can upload the files to the server, send them via mail or attach them here in the forum.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you for being so lovely Classic Amiga Staff, Stewart would be very happy that his music will be listened to.

He was 31. I can't seem to find the attachments on the forum but i will do it tomorrow when i have had some sleep.

Thanks again,

Evan.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've not tried the CDMaster32 program myself for converting mod files so I hope it works ok.

If not, an alternative for the music conversion could be to use Deliplayer on the PC. It has a converter built in called Stream Recorder which can converted the mod audio as it is playing into a file that you can then use to burn a CD. Normally this outputs it as Wav files. You would need to buy the Deliplayer shareware licence to do this though as the unregistered version only outputs mono via the stream recorder.

As for uploading audio file to the site, I can give you ftp account details for uploading audio files. I will be adding an Amiga music section to the site very soon and having your cousins original and unique music on the site would be very nice and a good way to allow others to enjoy it.

Also I had another thought. I will be creating a classicamiga animated intro for putting on the front of videos we produce. I would need some music to go with this intro and if we like some of his music and you are ok with me doing it I could use the music on the intro.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Vintage gamer and metal head LowercaseE's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My condolonces on the loss of you cousin Vangar, may he rest in peace.
    --------DO NOT SUPPORT LIONSGATE FILMS-------

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would like to offer my condolences also. That's sad news indeed, hope you're doing ok.

I was also going to suggest the Deliplayer too for converting the mods. This is what I use to convert Amiga musics to MP3. It normally outputs WAVs as Harrison said, but can also output directly to MP3. You just need to add an MP3 encoding library to the Deliplayer folder, like lameenc.dll. Also it's true that you'll need to register Deliplayer to get the full functionality out of the streamrecorder. When you register, you get sent a keyfile that you put in the Deliplayer folder, which Deliplayer checks for when it launches. If that CDMaster32 program turns out to be no good, I can't see any harm in providing the keyfile for Deliplayer in order to do this. The Deliplayer project hasn't had any development for ages anyway.

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    For converting the amiga files from the Unexotica library, I record them in Deliplayer to wav, then use Nero Wave Editor, and convert them to mp3. No need to register Deliplayer.

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    But in Nero, don't you need to purchase the MP3Pro plugin separately in order to save MP3s? Definitely used to before, anyway.

Personally, I use CDex to convert WAV to MP3. Is as good at that as it is at ripping CDs.

And yeah, you don't have to register Deliplayer to use the streamrecorder in it. But you do if you want to record in stereo, like Harrison said. Not sure if other functions in the streamrecorder are locked as well.