Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Leeuwarden, Netherlands Or Hell from time to time
    Downloads
    Uploads

Fan sequel to Loom in development

Hello all,

Some of you might remember Lucasarts, or Lucasfilm at the time, special little adventure game called Loom that was released on the PC, Amiga, and Atari ST I think.

I say special because it was a very unique adventure game in comparison to Lucasart's other adventure games at the time; The Secret of Monkey Island, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, as it did a few things very different regarding controls.

In Loom you had no inventory screen, and rather than using objects you used 'drafts' you learned along the way to solve puzzles.

Loom ended with the promise of a sequel called Forge, but unfortunate due to the bad sales this game was never made.

But now a couple of fans have started work on a Forge sequel and it seems pretty interesting so far.

http://forge.freeiz.com/?p=main
    [I]Earth is like a 24 hour, Seven days a week Stupidity contest which has been running for centuries.
    And every time they are ready to pronounce a winner, a new contender appears on the scene.[/I]

[I]He has seen half the universe who has not seen the house of pain (Ralph Waldo)[/I]

Adventurer Speed Biker Champion, Tadpole Champion, Pearl Hunt Champion, Spacerunner 2 Champion, Marble Mayhem Champion, Galaxians Champion, Starfrosch Champion, K Tire Racing Champion, Way of the stick Champion Phantom's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Bad sales?

Loom is the most prototype adventure of all-time.
    [b]To Be A True Adventurer, You Ought To Play Real Text Adventures[/b]

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I also thought Loom sold really well. I remember it being in the Top 10 best selling games chart in the UK for quite some time.

But anyway... it is great that some fans are attempting a sequel, as like you said, a real one was never made, so it will be interesting to see what they can develop.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Perhaps I got my knowledge about the sales wrong.

I had the impression that it had been disappointing sales that prevented Brian Moriarty from making his planned sequels like Forge (and Fold I think).
    Not that the game like I said was bad.

Edit

Mobygames clears the matter up

Contrary to popular belief, the LOOM sequels were not abandoned because LOOM didn't sell well. LOOM has sold more than half a million copies in various formats since it was published in 1990. The reason the sequels weren't made is because I decided I wanted to work on other things, and nobody else wanted to do them, either.
    I find that a rather strange mentality from Mr Moriarty, Loom was sort of his creation and expecting others to take over development because he wanted to do other things, well that is not how it works.

I guess these fans are continuing what Brian had hoped would happen twenty years ago.
    [I]Earth is like a 24 hour, Seven days a week Stupidity contest which has been running for centuries.
    And every time they are ready to pronounce a winner, a new contender appears on the scene.[/I]

[I]He has seen half the universe who has not seen the house of pain (Ralph Waldo)[/I]

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It is a mentality that is difference between a creative and business mind.

For the business mind it made great sense to make a sequel, as fans of the first wanted one, the first sold well so a market was there, and it was a guaranteed brand identity to promote.

For the creative mind though it offers no challenge compared to a completely new project. It is one reason many don't make sequels. A designer or artist hates to keep rehashing old ideas, turning out different new versions based around the same old ideas. They want to generate new concepts and ideas. Something completely different and in new directions. If a designer is happy with the concept and outcome if a first game then they have completed the goal they had in mind. And further versions would just be retreading old ideas. I can easily see why using this point of view he didn't want to continue.

The good sequels will always come for design frustration within the first game in a series. Limitations of time constraints, the ideas and designs not fully fulfilled in the first game, or just being unhappy or not fully convinced that the first game delivered everything they wished. And so the designer is eager to make a sequel to try and expand on the first, to show what he really had in his vision for the game.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Anyway, I am glad that after all these years there is going to be a sequel.

The new interface sounds as unique and special as the distaff and drafts from the first game.

I do hope that this team will also develop Fold after finishing Forge.

Adventurer Speed Biker Champion, Tadpole Champion, Pearl Hunt Champion, Spacerunner 2 Champion, Marble Mayhem Champion, Galaxians Champion, Starfrosch Champion, K Tire Racing Champion, Way of the stick Champion Phantom's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That would be nice indeed. Wish not to wait an eternity again...

Downloads
    Uploads

Smile Forge: Loom Sequel - Chapter One

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
    That would be nice indeed. Wish not to wait an eternity again...
    It depends on what you mean by "eternity"!

Sorry for being such a lurker (it's my first post here) and for not having noticed this thread before.

I'm Gabriele "Abisso" Nannetti and I'm the project leader of the game-developing team Quill O' The Wisp. We've been working on the freeware adventure Forge: Loom Sequel (which -surprise, surprise!- is a sequel of LucasArts' "Loom") since the late 2009.

Ghost already noticed that piece of info to you all, and I hope some of you decided to follow the progress on our on our Boards.

For those who aren't familiar with the project, anyway, please visit the Story section of our website . There you will find a synopsis of Forge's mother-game, Loom, along with a brief explanation of what our fan-made sequel seeks to accomplish.

But let's come to the reason of this post: after a long long time, I'm finally able (and proud) to share Forge: Chapter One with you. It's not a demo, but it's not the complete game either: it shows exactly how the first part of the complete game will look like, but since an episodic release is not in our intentions, this one anticipates the full game.
    The reason for this release, other than setting a milestone, is to find new people to join our team, or at least to share some of their free time to make the game become a reality.

Development has been awfully slow especially due to the lack of a stable team and the constant need for outsourcing. About 50 people have worked on the game so far, and managing so many artists, composers, voice-actors, testers and so on, requires a lot of time and efforts. Especially if you don't want your game to look like a patchwork. I hope I've managed to avoid that eventuality.

Also, don't forget the game is FREEWARE and will always stay that way. 99% the people that worked on it did that for free, and the basic expenses have been barely covered by voluntary donations.

So please, if you like the game so far, spread the word, offer your services and do whatever you can to help our team.

But I've already talked too much! And you don't care for the blabbering, do you? So just CLICK HERE AND DOWNLOAD THE GAME!

Hope you enjoy. Sincerely,
    -Gabriele "Abisso" Nannetti

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That's brilliant news. Thank you for resurrecting this old thread to share this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Abisso View Post
    But I've already talked too much! And you don't care for the blabbering, do you? So just CLICK HERE AND DOWNLOAD THE GAME!

Hope you enjoy. Sincerely,
    -Gabriele "Abisso" Nannetti
    That's brilliant news indeed. Unfortunately no peecee/windoze here, so tough luck.