Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mostly Harmless Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Amiga 1200 Web Browser recommendation

Hello everyone,

I am in the process of networking my Amiga 1200. I have a 3com 3C589D PCMCIA card and I am just waiting for the dongle to arrive. I have installed the 3C589 driver and will be installing the Miami TCPIP stack. Can anyone recommend a half decent web browser I can use (I am running Workbench 3.1)

I'm fairly sure it will work but is anyone else using a 3com 3C589D card in their Amiga 1200?

Thanks

I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Does your 1200 have a RAM expansion or an accelerator? If the answer is no then there really isn't anything that will be any good. If you have an expansion or accelerator then try AWeb or Ibrowse however as both are out of development they do not have any of the features of a modern browser. TBH even if you had a A4000/060 and a graphics card there is no browser that can be used effectively as the Amiga just isn't powerful enough.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

Adventurer Speed Biker Champion, Tadpole Champion, Pearl Hunt Champion, Spacerunner 2 Champion, Marble Mayhem Champion, Galaxians Champion, Starfrosch Champion, K Tire Racing Champion, Way of the stick Champion Phantom's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    iBrowse is the best solution for 68k Amigas.
    [b]To Be A True Adventurer, You Ought To Play Real Text Adventures[/b]

ELITE Staff Moderator
    My location

Snake Champion, Invasion Champion Puni/Void's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi there ArcadeGuru,

Nice to hear that you are going to get your Amiga 1200 Online. I've got one myself that uses a PCMCIA wireless network card from AmigaKit. Works fine. It is very handy if one wants to download games, demos and utilities.

As mentioned by Phantom, IBrowse is a fine application. You can also try out AWeb and Voyager. IBrowse is the one that is most up to date of these. There's also Netsurf, but I think this one requires a bit more powerful hardware. Correct me if I'm wrong.

There are lots of other stuff to try out to. IRC, e-mail (Yam), FTP and much more.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by ArcadeGuru View Post
    Hello everyone,

I am in the process of networking my Amiga 1200. I have a 3com 3C589D PCMCIA card and I am just waiting for the dongle to arrive. I have installed the 3C589 driver and will be installing the Miami TCPIP stack. Can anyone recommend a half decent web browser I can use (I am running Workbench 3.1)

I'm fairly sure it will work but is anyone else using a 3com 3C589D card in their Amiga 1200?

Thanks
    Classicamiga.com Moderator/Demoscene Admin
    Member of the Amiga demo group Void
    Admin of Old School Game Blog

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Netsurf requires a OS4.1 machine (It can run on a Blizzard PPC but only if you have a PCI graphics card and an overclocked PPC otherwise it's AMigaOne or SAM) or it can just about run on WinUAE at silly speeds but it does have issues.

I'd forgotten about Voyager. I know some of the Amiga Magazines used Web Browsers for some of their offline webpages. I'm trying to remember which browser for which mag. I know Ibrowse is slower on a unexpanded miggy because it uses MUI whereas the others use custom UI's.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    There is a 68K version of Netsurf too Buleste, called Netsurf 68K. It still only just runs on a 50MHz 060 though, so is really only useful using emulation.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    There is a 68K version of Netsurf too Buleste, called Netsurf 68K. It still only just runs on a 50MHz 060 though, so is really only useful using emulation.
    I know there is a 68k version that's why I said it can just about run on WinUAE if you set up at silly speeds (I know this because I keep putting posts about it) but for it to run properly it needs a OS4.1 machine as there is no classic Amiga that can run it at acceptable speeds even with a PPC on board.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    But, is that a CPU or ram limitation issue? With the new ZorRam board from Amigakit making it theoretically possible to have 1GB of ram in an A3000 or A4000, that would take care of the ram limitations. All be it costing over £400 just to get 1GB of ram, which is expensive by any ones standards (a 1GB DIMM is what, £12-20 these days by comparison, making it 2000% more expensive!).

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's CPU and Graphics RAM that are the issue. The largest Zorro graphics cards are 4MB or 8MB with Cybervision. Net surf you need at least 16MB graphics RAM which you can get with a PCI graphics card but you still can't get a CPU with enough grunt although a 604 might help for the OS4 version but realistically to run Netsurf you need a OS4.1 machine or WinUAE.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Lets hope Natami delivers, then we might be able to run a more up to date browser finally. Although currently based on 060 it might still be too slow.

I refuse to move to PPC Amigas as they are not real Amigas in my view.