Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cycling

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I remember wanting a BMX for about 2 years as a child. Seeing them in all the shops, displayed even in high street windows. But my parents couldn't afford one. I ended up with a second-hand Chopper, and looking back now I'm glad I got one of those instead as it was a great little bike, and fun to ride.

The Chopper was a 70's icon.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

ELITE Staff Moderator
    My location

Snake Champion, Invasion Champion Puni/Void's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've got a bike that I ride to and from work. I like the combination of exercise and fresh air. Also nice to save some money on transport.
    Classicamiga.com Moderator/Demoscene Admin
    Member of the Amiga demo group Void
    Admin of Old School Game Blog

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If I lived fairly close to my work I would definitely start cycling to work when the weather as nice. Saves money on Petrol, reduced wear and tear on the car, and lets you avoid traffic jams.

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    I remember wanting a BMX for about 2 years as a child. Seeing them in all the shops, displayed even in high street windows. But my parents couldn't afford one.
    Just out of interest, was that because a BMX was necessary for the kind of riding you intended to do? Or more for 'fashion' purposes?

I was just wondering, because I had a load of people try and show off to me on their BMX bikes the other day whilst I was riding my hybrid bike which has 700mm wheels and gears.

Whilst one of the BMX lads managed to finish the rather short journey a few seconds earlier than me, it was obvious that I put in considerably less effort. And I would have gone faster if it a) wouldn't have risked crashing into him and b) if it wouldn't have risked crashing into pedestrians.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    When the BMX first appeared at the start of the 80's every school kid wanted one. It felt very similar to the first major interest in skate boarding, or even championship yo-yo's that happened in the 80's also. Everywhere you went stores were selling them. Loud coloured frames, and contrasting brightly coloured tires, and the unique handlebars that could spin 360, plus the foot balance bars on both wheel axles.

They did fade out of general popularity quite fast though, as I remember a couple of years later everyone wanted racing bikes. I was lucky enough to be left a very nice hand made racing bike by my Great Uncle and I used that bike almost every day for years. And still have it, but it needs to TLC to bring it back to good condition as it hasn't been ridden in a few years and the tires need replacing, and some rust on the frame needs sorting out.

It was good to see the BMX make a come back more recently, and now enjoying professional stunt events. Something it was known for from the beginning, but never really that well publicised years ago.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi All
    I still use my racer 1st was a raleigh elan 14 speed had a little accident got slightly bent had it for 15ish years. 2nd is a elswick hopper turbo 12 bought at an auction for £32 2 years got some new parts total cost about £90. This year did about 500mile on it and still going thats about my last 20 years of cycling. and lost about 2 stone this year.
    Many Thanks
    Andrew1971

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've been getting back into it, I've set myself a challenge: Cycle a distance equal to the length of the Equator. Crazy, I know! Check out my progress!
    Check out my blog - submeg.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi Submeg
    Yes a little crazy but why not keeps you going and lots of time to think aswell about amiga problems
    Many Thanks
    Andrew1971

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I keep saying to myself 'this week, I will cycle to work at least once, and build up from there'

Problem is, although it's not that far work is up a big-ass hill from home. My bike is a $100 special from Big W. It has suspension front and back, and as you might expect it's really actually quite shit and weighs a ****ing ton. Also, the brakes and gears need setting up properly. I don't think the wheels are truly centered in the forks either. Maybe if I get some more use out of it I could justify getting something better.

There are showers at work so really I have very little excuse other than lasiness.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi J T
    I agree moutain bike are heavy and slow and then tyres get a bit of speed up they sound like a land rover
    A hybrid or racer thems the one to get. Getting up hills can be a little problem just think of speed coming down it
    I do all my own bike repairs + servicing so much cheaper and you know you have done good job. Setting up gears is
    easy when you know how. I got manuals from the library.
    Many Thanks
    Andrew1971