Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    True, and a very good reason he didn't make a good PM.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Poor Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    Not referring to the whole American population mate, just the 90% who don't have passports, don't have any geographical knowledge other than when they have been involved in invading a country somewhere, and couldn't say who their President is.

I know there are a few in the USA with some common sense.

The biggest thing that amazes me with any American's is that they expect you to know everything about where they come from, even the local game shows that are of no interest to anyone outside of the USA, but they have no clue about anything in the country they are currently visiting. And that is a fact for every American I've met, regardless of IQ. That is the bubble I refer to.

And before saying anything else. I fully admit that we have our fair share of idiots and twats in the UK too. But at least most of them know where France is!

No problem, but I had to join in! I will say this though.. In all seriousness I think one of the main reasons for this is that the US is geographically a very large country with only 2 neighbors, so by definition we are kind of isolated from the rest of the world. This leads to the feeling that what we see and feel everyday (The US and little else) is all there is.. Also, with our media being so US-Centric... (And usually not in a good way) it can quickly lead to some cultural tunnel vision. This explanation in no way defends this behavior, but it may partially explain how we got here...

European countries on the other hand are generally geographically smaller and more tightly woven together. You folks can travel in multiple countries in a single day and it wouldn't be remarkable... Makes for a different point of view.. Definitely a more diverse and "Worldly" point of view I am sure..

I wonder if Australia may have a similar kind of cultural tunnel vision for the same reasons... ??

Any Aussies out there care to chime in?
    "Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence." Line from RAMBO

Poor Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I aint got no passport. Does that make me a twat or just a tard. I do know where paris is though.
    Solutions the cause of all known problems!

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    @outlawal2. Some great points, and very true. It is definitely the US centric TV that doesn't help either.

@1980-20.. Have you never been out of the UK?

Poor Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    @outlawal2. Some great points, and very true. It is definitely the US centric TV that doesn't help either.

@1980-20.. Have you never been out of the UK?
    only three times and twice to the same place.
    Solutions the cause of all known problems!

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by outlawal2 View Post
    No problem, but I had to join in! I will say this though.. In all seriousness I think one of the main reasons for this is that the US is geographically a very large country with only 2 neighbors, so by definition we are kind of isolated from the rest of the world. This leads to the feeling that what we see and feel everyday (The US and little else) is all there is.. Also, with our media being so US-Centric... (And usually not in a good way) it can quickly lead to some cultural tunnel vision. This explanation in no way defends this behavior, but it may partially explain how we got here...

European countries on the other hand are generally geographically smaller and more tightly woven together. You folks can travel in multiple countries in a single day and it wouldn't be remarkable... Makes for a different point of view.. Definitely a more diverse and "Worldly" point of view I am sure..

I wonder if Australia may have a similar kind of cultural tunnel vision for the same reasons... ??

Any Aussies out there care to chime in?
    Most Australians aren't narrow in their view of the world, many people travel out of the country on a regular basis. We receive news from all over the world, but sadly, a lot of our news (well the stuff I see anyway) is rubbish. I wish the media would realise that there are more important things to talk about most of the time - they don't because of the amount of idiots (or "bogans" as we call them) that seem to infest our country...

I would really like to see what the curriculum is like, I have a feeling that's where it starts. I've heard some stories, (my Uncle was a teacher in the US for a few years) and it's not good. I think teachers need to stop being so patriotic ( which borders on egocentric) and actually expose students to the rest of the world. I wouldn't be able to see exactly what it is like unless I went there.

But I don't think the majority of Australians are as narrow minded.
    Check out my blog - submeg.com/

It's always caturday! My location

Downloads
    Uploads

Attached Images Attached Images

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    GREAT !!!

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sad truth is a lot of American's think that is true!

.. but I also have my doubts and think a lot of the teens in the UK these days would too.

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have always wondered why America borrowed names like Boston, from Boston Park (and Boston Castle), which is 3 miles down the road from here, and names like New York, which is about 4 miles away.