For those who dare! ClassicWB dev
    VIP
    Forum Mod
    Chopper Challenge Champion, The Collector Champion, BombJack Arcade Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Paintballing - Assault Champion, Tower 13 - Adventures In Body Saving Champion, Himalayaya Champion, Sea Dogs Champion, Yeti Sports 1- Long Shot Version Champion, Operation Switchover Champion Bloodwych's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Anyone been following the Gulf oil leak fix attempts?

You can watch them live from ROVCAM (these streams play best in VLC player - the media link can be found by viewing the page source):

http://www.bp.com/liveassets/bp_inte...ov_stream.html

Also some other streams from http://www.bp.com/genericarticle.do?...tentId=7062605

Man, they are having a right chew on trying to fix it. It's unbelievable that I can watch something happening at the bottom of the ocean hundreds of miles away.

They also have daily video blogs explaining the plans as they try out different methods. It's been interesting stuff.
    Last edited by Bloodwych; 3rd June 2010 at 13:16.
    Live Long and Procrastinate
    A500 Batman Pack
    Classic Workbench

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've only been keeping tabs on it via the main news on BBC and SkyHD. It does seem a major nightmare trying to get this leak to stop.

It does raise the question about why more safely measures have not been in place already to prevent such a catastrophic event taking place. Had no one considered what would happen before now if a floating oil rig on the surface had collapsed and ruptured the main pipe connected to the sea bed?

Surely some kind of self sealing valve system would have been the solution to prevent this?

And with the size of the oil industry and the length of time they have been dealing with pumping oil out from deep sea drilling platforms they would have made more progress? Or is it the usual case of while it works and no problems have occurred, leave it as it is to save money on development and cost of new parts and keep the profits coming in? From their profits posted for last year it would definitely seem to be the case.

And why is the rest of the world and the rest of the oil industry seeming to be sitting back and watching this taking place? Everyone possible that could help should be there doing something to try and fix this. The amount of oil flowing out of this leaking pipe is a major global disaster and is going to kill a lot of the natural habitat and wildlife in the region.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

VIP
    Forum Mod
    Chopper Challenge Champion, The Collector Champion, BombJack Arcade Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Paintballing - Assault Champion, Tower 13 - Adventures In Body Saving Champion, Himalayaya Champion, Sea Dogs Champion, Yeti Sports 1- Long Shot Version Champion, Operation Switchover Champion Bloodwych's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    100% agree with everything you said.

I love wildlife and nature, and this made me sad beyond belief. Worst possible time of year for the turtles and seabirds. Manitees could be affected, plus all the other rich wildlife.

Makes you question how a mega rich oil company didn't have several failsafes. Looks like they were never prepared to safely drill at this depth. Our continued oil rich lifestyle isn't worth this kind of sacrifice - the gravy train will end eventually and what mess will we be left with? We need to control this better, but I fear this won't be the last disaster.
    A500 Batman Pack
    Classic Workbench

I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Amazingly rich Oil companies who pay out billions in dividends make their money by cutting corners and paying off politicians to ignore it especially in America. It's only when pointless disasters like this happen that people realise that they are making a deal with the devil.

It should be mandatory that a cut off valve should be placed every mile or 2 miles so that should a leak happen to the pipeline the oil can be cut off and the leak repaired with minimal damage but in an industry that has a limited lifespan profits are key and installing such safety measures would cut down on those profits so it's cheaper to invest in politicians to turn a blind eye. Gotta love Democracy and free market economies.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

VIP
    Forum Mod
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Updated with more links as the main Rov cam seems to be down.
    A500 Batman Pack
    Classic Workbench

Poor Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Buleste View Post
    Amazingly rich Oil companies who pay out billions in dividends make their money by cutting corners and paying off politicians to ignore it especially in America. It's only when pointless disasters like this happen that people realise that they are making a deal with the devil.

It should be mandatory that a cut off valve should be placed every mile or 2 miles so that should a leak happen to the pipeline the oil can be cut off and the leak repaired with minimal damage but in an industry that has a limited lifespan profits are key and installing such safety measures would cut down on those profits so it's cheaper to invest in politicians to turn a blind eye. Gotta love Democracy and free market economies.
    Yep that all sounds good until you really take a long look at the drilling process and where they are drilling. They DO have fail safes and as I understand it there are 3 separate redundant computer controlled safety devices in place in the control room of the structure that is anchored to the seabed. So if the pipe ruptures between the structure and the floating rig, the only oil lost is the oil in the pipe.. Very small amount. As for installing shutoffs every few miles, it is currently impossible to do this since they are drilling a mile under the surface of the ocean and then drilling miles below that.

My question is how does three separate and redundant computer controlled fail safe devices all fail simultaneously causing this kind of disaster? Statistically this is near impossible..

I personally think this was an act of sabotage, but so far nothing has been mentioned about this possibility...
    "Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence." Line from RAMBO

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I think the issue was that the main drilling platform was on fire and so any computer system were probably offline as the rig sank.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Poor Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    I think the issue was that the main drilling platform was on fire and so any computer system were probably offline as the rig sank.
    The fail-safe systems are specifically designed with this possible contingency in mind. The systems are installed in the structure that is anchored to the sea floor and sits directly ON the sea floor.. This structure is sealed and completely separate from the floating rig and that is why I am very suspicious that the systems could all fail at once..
    "Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence." Line from RAMBO

VIP
    Forum Mod
    Downloads
    Uploads
    To see what they are now dealing with since making the cut (not as clean as they would have liked):

OceanInterventionROV2

That is a lot of oil! I think now they will try and clean it up and place a cap on top.
    A500 Batman Pack
    Classic Workbench