Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's not the GPU, it's the MOS fan of the MSI motherboard.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    He's wasn't the GPU either, but his case system fans refusing to throttle via MoBo and software throttling. The issue however was the GPU blocking the system from slowing down the fans. To me it sounded like either a compatibility issue in either the Bios, the GPU firmware, or somewhere between the GPU drivers and Windows.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    That heatsink is huge! Why not liquid cooling? Would have saved a lot of internal space.

Really like the look of the case.

You are really lucky to have got a 3090. The 3000 cards are completely out of stock in most places globally at the moment. You could make a massive profit reselling online. Some are selling for £4k on ebay!
    Harrison is right DC....

A Water Block & Rad setup would have saved you Lots of internal Case space & given you much better cooling on the CPU.

Quote Originally Posted by Demon Cleaner View Post
    Well, this is annoying. The MOS fan is running all the time at full speed, 12.000rpm. I couldn't manage to resolve this, not through software like Dragon Center or Afterburner, nor through the fan control settings in the BIOS. Setting is set to silent mode, and even putting it to manual doesn't change anything, continues turning at full speed.

So I called MSI in the end, they asked me about the BIOS, it has the latest version, so they guessed that it's a fan controller issue and that I have to send it back. That's just great, damn.
    He's wasn't the GPU either, but his case system fans refusing to throttle via MoBo and software throttling. The issue however was the GPU blocking the system from slowing down the fans. To me it sounded like either a compatibility issue in either the Bios, the GPU firmware, or somewhere between the GPU drivers and Windows.
    Whilst having the Luxury of a Water Block on my now ageing i7 3770K (OMFG, 8 years old now....) I noticed my 1080Ti's were hugely noisy compared to my old 780Ti's & my Chassis Fans were Ramping. - I have a couple of Zotac GTX1080-Ti AMP Editions in SLI now & yeah, I know I ain't seeing the best from these Girls....
    But.... I discovered a solution that was really hard to discover.

Zotac's 1080Ti default Bios setting would spin it's three fans unnecessarily high causing lots of bad ass noise.
    On top of this, my Chassis Fans were mis-behaving. They're hooked up to my CPU Fan Headers for convenience because I run a Water block. - Still with me......?

Run Zotac Firestorm, here's the greet screen:

FS01.jpg

After clicking on Spectra:

FS02.jpg

Click on the circled what looks like a slider button but isn't: (Grrrrr)

FS03.jpg

Set FAN STOP SETTING to "OFF"

Heh! - Now Blissfully silent until used/needed & my Chassis Fans now behave as they should. - My SLI'd 780Ti's didn't do this.

Zotac may now have changed this on their 20XX & 30XX Series Bios', but wonder if their might be some underlying issue here for you?

*Edit*

If this doesn't work for you, just send me your 3090 & I'll send you my two 1080Ti's. - I'm sure they'll be just fine for you! biggrin.gif
    Last edited by Kin Hell; 31st January 2021 at 07:52.
    Getting 0ld0r is mandatory - Growing up is just an option.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm sure DC would be up for that exchange! Lol

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I wanted to go with an AiO cooling system, the NZXT Kraken X73, but after doing some research and watching this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEjm...ature=emb_logo), I went with the Noctua (again).

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm sure DC would be up for that exchange! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Demon Cleaner View Post
    I wanted to go with an AiO cooling system, the NZXT Kraken X73, but after doing some research and watching this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEjm...ature=emb_logo), I went with the Noctua (again).
    I can see your reasoning DC. - I did watch the whole video & almost posted a reply suggesting he needed to do some Breathing Exercises.....

Anyhoo, the video only compares a complete water cooled solution. - Looks great... but is NOT the best when it comes to water cooling.

For starters, a 1/2" bore in your tubing gets way more heat away from the CPU on a good brand of Water block.
    The Radiator on that NZXT is only half the depth of my 3 x 120 Rad....
    I use a Laing D5 pump, probably the best there is in Water Cooled Computer build terms. You need a good pump to force a good flow though a half inch bore.

This kit will cost you about £300 (Plus a decent Case to house it all) but the temps will be way cooler than the NZXT solution @ ~ 160? -

I'm not knocking the NZXT & dammit, that Noctua is a proper "Munter", but, at least with the NZXT, it looks really really Sweet!

The guy proclaims these are the best coolers on the market right now, but probably isn't wise or bright enough to know there are better water cooling solutions than NZXT or Corsair ready to go Rad/Block Combo's.

The Ugly cooler helps GPU temps, cos those shitty brown spinny things help get rid of the GPU's heat....

Kind'a makes his review a Tad bias against the whole concept of Water Cooling for me bud.

Does that mean I'm an Enthusiast or just a nutter?
    Last edited by Kin Hell; 4th February 2021 at 16:01.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    You don't see the insides of my PC, it's almost against the wall, so I absolutely don't care about the looks. The case had to be "quite" compact, as I put it on a shelf next to my subwoofer, and this Gungnir case just fits, anything slightly bigger would not.

This PC was already 4.000€, that was my limit sorts off, it was even a bit lower before, as I wanted to get a 3080 and not a 3090, but due to permanent unavailability, I had to change, so it was already 1.000€ more expensive than initially planned. And to be honest, I never even considered installing any water cooling system, never had one, never needed one.

Plus the Noctua keeps temperature very low, don't need 10 degrees on my CPU, only to post a picture to say "hey guys look, I have the best cooling system, had to spend 500€, but now my CPU is at 10 degrees all the time, even when playing Cyberpunk in 8K".

Downloads
    Uploads
    4.000€ = A lot of money to have buried & not on show.

But if space doesn't permit, I guess ya gotta do what ya gotta do!

So you don't fancy swapping the 3090 for a couple of AMP CORE Edition 1080 Ti's then?

I can cover the postage both ways....

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Your PC is worth a lot more than my car. My car is rubbish though