Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Btw, what do you think about getting immediately 8GB of memory, so I don't have to upgrade later? I just checked, and saw that a GeIL memory kit of 4GB only costs 105€, which is quite cheaper than the G.SKILL I wanted to get. So instead of getting 4GB for 170€, I would get 8GB for 210€.

I lately only used GeIL memory, which I found to be very good and reliable. I can give you the latencies if you want to compare them:

GeIL: CL7 7-7-24 (model GV34GB1333C7DC)
    G.SKILL: CL8 8-8-21 (model F3-10600CL8D-4GBHK)

And as I noticed just now, from today on, the G.SKILL memory is out of stock

The GeIL memory is also supported by the mainboard.

EDIT: With some further investigation I read that some people have problems with the GeIL memory. I found now memory from Patriot, which seems to be top, but it's quite expensive, 140€ for 4GB. But I also saw that there's Kingston Hyper X memory, and "only" 219€ for a quad kit (8GB), but it's not on the qualified vendors list of Asus.
    Last edited by Demon Cleaner; 28th April 2010 at 09:04.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    GeIL ram is good, but maybe that motherboard doesn't like certain latency.

Have you looked at Crucial ram? I've used that quite a lot in the past, and it is very good. The Crucial website lets you search by motherboard for recommended and tested ram. And you can order from their website directly with next day special delivery.

For the motherboard you want the following link is all their compatible ram types:

http://www.crucial.com/eu/store/list...=P7P55D-E%20LX

In answer to your question about getting 8GB. Unless you are planning to do video editing, post production or 3D rendering, then I can't see a reason for more than 4GB of ram at the moment. No games require it or really need more than that. And with 2x 2GB ram in the system you would have 2 slots free for more later if you ever did need more.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I ordered the stuff now, and I only changed few things:

- got the Antec 1200 case
    - got the Patriot memory, 4GB
    - got the Arctic cooler you mentioned Harrison
    - got the Cougar S700 PSU, not the 700CM, which is a bit more expensive but has an 80+ silver certificate (the other has "only" bronze )
    - had to change the 5770 Asus card, as Asus cards and many others were out of stock, so I got the Sapphire model (still 5770)

- kept everything else, the CPU, took 3x 2GB HDDs, and the Asus mainboard

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Sapphire or XFX are actually the best makers ATI cards, so you will be happy with that one.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    And here is the beauty put together:

Now I have to install and copy stuff over from the "old" PC. I got a nice Sharkoon Quickport Combo HDD docking station (SATA + IDE) to do so.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That looks great. Very nice neat job you did.

Were you happy with all the components and the case?

Adventurer Speed Biker Champion, Tadpole Champion, Pearl Hunt Champion, Spacerunner 2 Champion, Marble Mayhem Champion, Galaxians Champion, Starfrosch Champion, K Tire Racing Champion, Way of the stick Champion Phantom's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Everything is really nice and very settled inside.

Although I have to admit, that's the first time I see the PSU's place at the bottom of the case.
    [b]To Be A True Adventurer, You Ought To Play Real Text Adventures[/b]

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    All Antec cases have thier PSUs at the bottom. I quite like that instead of the normal top position as it does reduce clutter. Their P range of cases go further with dual chambers, isolating the PSU completely from the rest of the components to keep the heat separate. But those a re a bit limiting in internal space for current long graphics cards.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    That looks great. Very nice neat job you did.

Were you happy with all the components and the case?
    Thanks. I still didn't install my stuff yet so far, only Windows, as I gave my old PC to my father, who still had an Athlon Barton with 512MB memory and 40GB HDD But I had to install it for him from scratch, as he wanted the Windows in french, so that took me some time, plus to copy and install all his stuff again.

One problem I only noticed is that the CPU cooler is quite big and reaches over the last RAM expansion, so that you cannot upgrade memory without removing again the cooler.

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    One problem I only noticed is that the CPU cooler is quite big and reaches over the last RAM expansion, so that you cannot upgrade memory without removing again the cooler.
    Have the exact same issue with mine. That was the only one sensible way to install that huge thing when I built mine as well. If I'll ever really need that last RAM-slot I'll have to get a different cooler, plain and simple.