Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

DownThemAll! Download Slowdown

Does anyone use the DownThemAll! Firefox plugin?

I've been using it for a long time now, but recently I've had problems with it.

When you first set a load of downloads to begin it works fine, downloading at full speed and working its way through the queue until complete. But recently after a while it suddenly grinds to a halt and practically stops downloading at all, showing Starting for new queued items and never actually starting, and current downloads stuck half way through.

Does anyone know what could be causing this?

And when this happens attempting to download directly in the browser or through something else like Orbit won't work properly either.

Rebooting the system and it downloads again at full speed for some time, until it does it again.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've had it for ages but can never be bothered to use it. Stupid really because when I have used it I liked it.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

It's always caturday! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Are you using the internal download manager of Firefox or an external one?
    Using the internal is not a good idea imho, I've been using the classic FlashGet 2 since years, but since it caused some problems with the newer version of Firefox (or Windows 7 x64, no idea) I've switched to Free Download Manager which is actually pretty good too if you configure it to stop nagging you every time you want to dl something.

Anywyas, if you know this is a problem with that extension maybe check it's site for nightly updates or report it to the author?

Personally I'm using the FlashGot extension, but months before I've also had DTA installed since it had the "download movies from youtube" feature before FlashGot.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't know if the issue is specific to DownThemAll! or is something more general. As I said, when downloads stop downloading in that download manager, if I then launch another download manager that won't download anything either unless I reboot the system.

I'd actually forgot about Flashget. Might give it a try again. What is the advantage of using the classic version over the current one?

BTW, have any of you heard of Orbit? I found it a while back whilst trying to download some streaming flash movies for my wife to use in a school project. It seemed to work OK, but not sure of its footprint or how it installs into the OS.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

It's always caturday! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    You mean this? Looks like any other flash downloader.
    Downloading from YT isn't nuclear-science these days, basically any extension allows it.

I'd just stop bothering with that extension if it's not working, try FlashGot.

---------- Post added at 18:04 ---------- Previous post was at 18:01 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    I'd actually forgot about Flashget. Might give it a try again. What is the advantage of using the classic version over the current one?
    I know the newest 3 version has MANY ad's, plus IIRC it integrates itself with torrent (or some other p2p protocol) which sucked for me since I prefer one program to do one thing.
    The classic 2 version was still great, but like I said, it started to cause problems a few updates ago (either of Windows 7 or Firefox), started hanging when the download started.

EDIT: I think the classic one is 1.73 ---> http://www.flashget.com/en/download.htm
    ... or 1.9.6? don't remember....

Adventurer Speed Biker Champion, Tadpole Champion, Pearl Hunt Champion, Spacerunner 2 Champion, Marble Mayhem Champion, Galaxians Champion, Starfrosch Champion, K Tire Racing Champion, Way of the stick Champion Phantom's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I installed it in the past, but I had strange issues so I disabled it. But 1-Click-YouTube Downloader is really good.
    [b]To Be A True Adventurer, You Ought To Play Real Text Adventures[/b]