Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Coates View Post
    How are you liking it compared to England?
    I mean yeah, it's a good country, but life is life, y'know, there's always bills to pay and work to do. But the climate is certainly better and I still like my job. It's weird though, coming up to 40 I find I'm missing England quite a bit more, or maybe it's the idealised memories of England and (I suspect more prominently) my youth. The two (England, and being young) are somewhat hard to separate in my mind as of course when I was in England I was a young man and having a lot of fun.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kin Hell View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    It is amazing how time flies! I've been married 11 years this year and my son is already 7. Happy you moved? Have you visited the UK since moving? Bet you are glad you have avoided the whole Brexit crap?

I've never met J.T. so I don't want to appear rude doing this, but if I was in J.T.'s situation since moving to Oz, I would have to retort in the following manner:

Soz, couldn't resist. - I'm even funnier after a Drink!
    Heh, it'd be a wild time for sheezy

I've been married 11 years this year and my son is already 7. - "You've been Lucky, ...very Lucky"
    Actually I now have 3 kids (6.5, 4.5 and 2.5) the highs are higher and the lows are lower. It's quite the ride.

Happy you moved? - "Of course of course, ....I'm still Living here...."
    Yeah, although see above, I still do miss my good friends back home.

Have you visited the UK since moving? - "Nope"
    Yeah heaps actually (6 times, maybe more), we wasted a lot of money and annual leave coming back for weddings, christenings etc and still got shit from our families about it.

Bet you are glad you have avoided the whole Brexit crap? - "Don't give a F'k, I don't Live in that sh!thole anymore".
    I'm not in favour of Brexit, but the political leanings aside the whole thing is a ****ing mess and whichever way it ends up going, it will get worse before it gets any better. What pains me is that Britain is now viewed as a bit of a laughing stock over here now, frankly it's embarrassing. It pains me to see the country torn like this into seemingly intractable positions.

The politicians in Aus aren't much better though, it's getting messy here too.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I think politics is getting worse everywhere, although it might actually be social media actually exposing them all for who they really are to the public for the first time.

You should watch a document on BBC4 about the EU side of the Brexit negotiations. It a real eye opener. We have to leave to move forward and stop the EU corruption.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't know, it all seems like a race to the bottom and it's all becoming about personalities rather than policies, just a shouting match from two sides with little in the middle.

The EU may well have corrupt people, just like all systems (I'm not convinced they are any worse than the shower of shits vying for control over the tiny island we call home) but I'm not sure how much change can be driven from the outside. I am still a firm believer in opening up and building relations, not breaking them and going it alone. I think it's a shame that some of the wonderful experiences I have benefitted from in my line of work may be denied to others in future.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That's the thing though. You mentioned opportunities because of being in the EU, and I'm sure many whom voted remain share similar experiences, hence voting to remain. Whereas others don't travel much or have ever worked across borders or in an industry that utililises more than one country, and it wouldn't make much difference to them. Or they have witnessed some bad impacts from freedom of movement into their area. Everyone has a different personal perspective.

However to show how corrupt the EU is, when they had the last nominarions for the heads of the EU, because of criticism they opened it up to nominations for each memberstate. Last week these positions were due for renewal again, but they closed down any nominations and the French president, with support from the German chancellor forced through their personal courses for the positions? Not quite sure how that's democratic, especially whom they gave ot into these positions. The head of the EU is now going to be a women whom was the failed German defence minister, and is hard by most in Germany. It's not much better for the other positions filled either. It's a complete joke. The Eastern EU members are definitely not happy.

It's sad because the EU is a great idea, but it's completely structured and managed wrongly, with a few per hungry at the ro pulling all thr strings. It's not democratic at all. Federalisation would be the only logical way the EU would function correctly. But most memberstates would fight such a move because they want to retain their sovereignty, cultural and historic identity, and ironically their nationalism and borders. But be in the EU! Have your cake and eat it basically.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm not convinced that federalisation would have it functioning correctly (also, define 'correctly') - it leads to a whole load of state/nation mess here in STRAYA, it seems; although I lack the experience and vocabulary to fully express how this seems and feels to me.

Sounds to me like what you have the problem with isn't so much the EU, but politics itself

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    No I have a problem with the EU being Autocratic. Plus after the UK parliament voted unanimously to trigger article 50 and begin the leave negotiation, they have then spent the last 3 years trying their hardest to frustrate and reverse the result like a bunch of spoilt toddlers.

And now Labour have finally killed their own party from within by announcing they are now a remain party and support a second referendum, with support from their unions. Complete madness.
    Last edited by Harrison; 16th July 2019 at 11:07.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    What, you thought trying to extricate the UK from all of these agreements and arrangements was going to be simple?

Downloads
    Uploads
    <snip> But be in the EU! Have your cake and eat it basically.
    Whut? - Once the cake is eaten, it's gone fella! - Much like you can't have it both ways & you certainly can't have the best of both worlds.

Shouldn't have gone into the EU anytime ever....

& we don't need a deal & you're not having a Pay out from the UK either. We've already paid a shed load....

And the little twernt called Jean-Claude Juncker. - What a proper cock that douche bag is!
    Getting 0ld0r is mandatory - Growing up is just an option.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by J T View Post
    What, you thought trying to extricate the UK from all of these agreements and arrangements was going to be simple?

No, never thought it would be eady, but after parliament voted unanimously to honour the result of the referendum, and then to trigger article 50, everyone expected every PM to honour this and all work hard to begin this process and untangle us from the EU. Instead they have worked their hardest to frustrate or reverse it against many PMs own consistents wishes. So pretty much nothing has happened in 3 years. The worst group of MPs in parliament on all sides of the house in my living memory!

We just need to get out with no deal and sort it out after because it's clear the EU side stunt wasn't to negotiate unless it's 100% on their favour. There are mechanisms and policies in place within EU and UK law to tackle this, as there are electronic solutions to the Irish border to remove the need for May's backstop stitchup. The EU even admitted as much multiple times.

The danger is, if we don't leave by October a general election will most likely be triggered.. and the result could be a 4 way hung parliament, with Brexit party and Lib Dems taking Tory and Labour votes. The danger being Corbyn as PM then the UK is truly screwed.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by J T View Post

No, never thought it would be eady, but after parliament voted unanimously to honour the result of the referendum, and then to trigger article 50, everyone expected every PM to honour this and all work hard to begin this process and untangle us from the EU. Instead they have worked their hardest to frustrate or reverse it against many PMs own consistents wishes. So pretty much nothing has happened in 3 years. The worst group of MPs in parliament on all sides of the house in my living memory!

We just need to get out with no deal and sort it out after because it's clear the EU side stunt wasn't to negotiate unless it's 100% on their favour. There are mechanisms and policies in place within EU and UK law to tackle this, as there are electronic solutions to the Irish border to remove the need for May's backstop stitchup. The EU even admitted as much multiple times.

The danger is, if we don't leave by October a general election will most likely be triggered.. and the result could be a 4 way hung parliament, with Brexit party and Lib Dems taking Tory and Labour votes. The danger being Corbyn as PM then the UK is truly screwed.
    Getting 0ld0r is mandatory - Growing up is just an option.