Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

PS2 memory cards - real of fake?

I finally ran out of space the other week on the official Sony PS2 8MB memory cards I own, so I decided I needed a couple more to continue playing all the RPGs I still have to play.

After some searching and seeing many trying to see official Sony memory cards at silly prices I finally found a seller on ebay offering what looked like genuine Sony memory cards for a great price, so I purchased 2.

They only worked at at £6 including shipping.

However on arrival the package was clearly from Hong Kong so I got suspicious that they were counterfeit fakes. On opening the package the packaging looks quite genuine with the yellow card backing with silver sony and PS2 logos in a plastic package. The cards themselves also look quite genuine. However there are a few things that still leave be suspicious that these are actually counterfeit fakes.

1. It says Made in China on the back of the cards
    2. The packaging says Made in Japan
    3. The plastic isn't quite as smooth as the older genuine cards I already own.
    4. The printing isn't the same colour on the cards and isn't as bright.
    5. The label on the back of the cards does not have uniform font size on one of the lines of text.

However, I still can't decide if these are real genuine Sony memory cards or not.

I've scanned one of these new cards from China in next to one of my older cards I know is a genuine Sony card. The genuine one is on the right.

What do you all think?
    Attached Images Attached Images

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Adventurer Speed Biker Champion, Tadpole Champion, Pearl Hunt Champion, Spacerunner 2 Champion, Marble Mayhem Champion, Galaxians Champion, Starfrosch Champion, K Tire Racing Champion, Way of the stick Champion Phantom's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks Dave, now you can easily spot the difference on both sides of the card.
    [b]To Be A True Adventurer, You Ought To Play Real Text Adventures[/b]

Poor Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Alright guys forgive me, but if the cards work as required does it really MATTER? There certainly are counterfeit items that look decent and then fall WAY short of the intended requirements and obviously these should be shunned, but if they perform the function do we really care?

Or am I missing something here?
    "Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence." Line from RAMBO

Adventurer Speed Biker Champion, Tadpole Champion, Pearl Hunt Champion, Spacerunner 2 Champion, Marble Mayhem Champion, Galaxians Champion, Starfrosch Champion, K Tire Racing Champion, Way of the stick Champion Phantom's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, they will work, but who gonna tell me for how long (losing all your save games for example one good day), or what about a strange short circuit damaging your PS2?

With this Chinese technology you never know.
    [b]To Be A True Adventurer, You Ought To Play Real Text Adventures[/b]