Harmless Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Lightbulb How can I get the display for Amiga500

Hi!

Noob here! I have installed latest version of Winuae but can't seem to get that authentic Amiga display/resolution/feel. My games look like old PC Dos games! I'm sure there's a way to get it like the real deal. I have downloaded pixelshaders/filters but don't know if I'm doing this properly. If someone knows what I'm after and can advise/guide me I'd be very happy. My PC is very well spec'd so heavy duty config's don't bother me. Plz help me.

Adventurer Speed Biker Champion, Tadpole Champion, Pearl Hunt Champion, Spacerunner 2 Champion, Marble Mayhem Champion, Galaxians Champion, Starfrosch Champion, K Tire Racing Champion, Way of the stick Champion Phantom's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi and welcome. It's really sounds strange, as I never had such a problem with WinUAE. I just install it and play.
    [b]To Be A True Adventurer, You Ought To Play Real Text Adventures[/b]

Harmless Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    This is what I mean. Please see pic. It's very pixelated or pc dos-like. I remeber my A500 to have had much 'smoother' graphics. I'm using 23 inch LCD if that makes a difference. Or is pixelation as good as it gets in Winuae?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Did you use your Amiga on a TV back in the day? I think that is your problem, Amiga graphics looked much smoother on an old CRT TV that could barely display it. You'll have to live with that pixellated look on hi-res monitors I'm afraid. At least until someone start making graphics smoothing filters for WinUAE.

I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    What screen mode do you have it on?
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

Harmless Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Teho View Post
    Did you use your Amiga on a TV back in the day? I think that is your problem, Amiga graphics looked much smoother on an old CRT TV that could barely display it. You'll have to live with that pixellated look on hi-res monitors I'm afraid. At least until someone start making graphics smoothing filters for WinUAE.
    It was a Phillips make. That's all I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Buleste View Post
    What screen mode do you have it on?
    Default winuae config e.g. 800 x 600 full screen, windowed, etc. My PC uses full hd res in native mode.

I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd love to help you but because I've just installed windows 7 I've got to get winuae running again.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    What we remember, and what is real, are 2 different things.

The problem is resolution. The Amiga was designed with TV resolutions in mind. Most Amiga games run at a resolution of 320x256 in 32 colours with a 15Hz refresh rate. This is far different to current PC setups which often run a 1920x1080 in 16M colours with a 85Hz refresh rate.

Modern LCD TVs are also extremely clear, showing every pixel fully and crisp. In the Amiga days TVs and Monitors were the big old CRT type. You mentioned Philips, which was probably the 8833-II Amiga monitor. This was basically a standard 14" CRT TV with Amiga monitor port to accept a clearer RGB signal directly from the Amiga. The picture was still of TV quality, and so the graphics were still blurred by the TV tube.

The problem you are having running WinUAE is that you are running Amiga low resolution games (320x256) on a high resolution PC monitor. It will look very pixillated because you can see every pixel in the game so much bigger.

As Teho said, the only way we could fix this issue would be to add some form of filtering to WinUAE.

Have you tried playing your Amiga games in a window instead of full screen? This might make them look better on your large monitor. I normally run WinUAE in a window at 800x600 and most games look fine. Alternatively, if your graphics card has a S-Video out then you could output WinUAE to a TV which will look better.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Harmless Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Buleste View Post
    I'd love to help you but because I've just installed windows 7 I've got to get winuae running again.
    Running Win7 64bit. Winuae works great!

Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    What we remember, and what is real, are 2 different things.

The problem is resolution. The Amiga was designed with TV resolutions in mind. Most Amiga games run at a resolution of 320x256 in 32 colours with a 15Hz refresh rate. This is far different to current PC setups which often run a 1920x1080 in 16M colours with a 85Hz refresh rate.

Modern LCD TVs are also extremely clear, showing every pixel fully and crisp. In the Amiga days TVs and Monitors were the big old CRT type. You mentioned Philips, which was probably the 8833-II Amiga monitor. This was basically a standard 14" CRT TV with Amiga monitor port to accept a clearer RGB signal directly from the Amiga. The picture was still of TV quality, and so the graphics were still blurred by the TV tube.

The problem you are having running WinUAE is that you are running Amiga low resolution games (320x256) on a high resolution PC monitor. It will look very pixillated because you can see every pixel in the game so much bigger.

As Teho said, the only way we could fix this issue would be to add some form of filtering to WinUAE.

Have you tried playing your Amiga games in a window instead of full screen? This might make them look better on your large monitor. I normally run WinUAE in a window at 800x600 and most games look fine. Alternatively, if your graphics card has a S-Video out then you could output WinUAE to a TV which will look better.
    Thx for the feedback H. What you say makes sense. I thought that maybe there was this hidden setting in winuae that would magically enable that Amiga look and feel. I was fooling around with filters but couldn't really see any difference so thought I was doing something wrong! Thx for the help.