Thread: Windows 7 help

I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads

Windows 7 help

I've just installed Win 7 Ultimate (possibly a big mistake) I followed the advice in backing up with windows watchamacallit, installed Win 7, restored what I backed up (except it asked me for a password for a user account that I haven't used the password for so I fudged myself past that) but now I've lost all my bookmarks for Firfox and all my emails form Thunderbird. I've also got to reinstall every programme and try to restore the settings and find a way of making the desktop icons smaller. Can anyone help?
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I use Febe as Firefox extension to make Firefox backups, works like a charm, and it backups really everything.

I did a fresh install with Win 7 Ultimate, as I didn't want to install it over the existing Vista, as that always causes problems. You'd better do a fresh install too.

And btw, for me Win 7 Ultimate works like a charm already since some months, didn't have a single problem yet.

I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    In the end up I did things a little bass ackward. I Backed up my old c: drive ,used Windows easy transfer to store settings. Did a clean install. Used Windows transfer to restore old settings. Found that Windows transfer is shite and didn't backup my thunderbird or firefox settings. Got on the tinternet and found out what to do. Transfered the relevant old XP settings from Documents and settings to User. reinstalled every single programme I had ever installed. Found out things were still horribly wrong. Broke down and cried for a bit. Uninstalled every programme I had just reinstalled. Formatted C: and did a clean install again. Reinstalled every programme again. Transferred the Thunderbird and Firefox settings from XP to 7 again. Went into a corner and rocked my self to sleep in a fetal position when everything seemed to work.

Then I started having problems with MalwareBytes Anti-Malware which would crash when I did a complete scan. I narrowed that down to it having a problem with the C: drive (The only one that had been formatted etc). Went on the Malwarebytes forum. They suggested uninstalling and reinstalling after using a clean up programme which I did, still to no avail. I noticed that AM stopped at a particulatr file so I unstalled the programme that it stopped at and reran a complete scan of C: again. At which point it got stuck in a loop on a different folder. Several chkdsk /f later with nothing showing up I downloaded checkdisk and alternative which showed up problems with indexes and the volume bitmap. I then looked up how to stop indexing and hopefully sorted that out. ran chkdsk again. reinstalled AM and ran a scan and at long last it worked although I'm still a bit paranoid about the volume bitmap.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD