Thread: PS3 HDD upgrade

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads

PS3 HDD upgrade

Yesterday I upgraded my old 60GB PS3 HDD to a 320GB Samsung Spinpoint M7 HDD. Everything worked just fine, but there's one thing that really bothers me:

On my old disk were about 25GB, so when I did the backup to an external disk, there were almost exactly 25GB on it.

When using the new disk, I formatted it, then restored the whole backup to it, and in the systems information I get told that on the disk there's 239GB/298GB free. So that would be 59GB, instead of only the initial 25GB. More than the double!!

What's wrong? Does the PS3 f.ex. reserve a certain % of space for a disk?

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Apparently it is on a percentage basis! The bigger the disk drive is, the more the system will take. Very annoying

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That is a very strange way for it to work. You would think it would just create the same file structure regardless of disk size.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, it shouldn't be that much of an issue.. I got a 200GB drive for mine immediately after buying it and that is still barely half-full. And I've bought quite a few PSN games, and haven't uninstalled or deleted any gamedata whatsoever yet. I do delete demos once I'm done with them.

I don't keep much music on it though, but used to a have huge number of downloaded trailers. Cleaned that up recently, not for space issues but just because most of them were no longer interesting. So while I get that the system taking so much is a little annoying, it shouldn't cause much problems for you.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I also only delete demos once I'm done, some I even keep, like the ones I don't buy the full game and want to show to friends. I also never delete any gamedata or gamesaves, but I backup gamesaves to a USB stick, as one of my friend's fat PS3 broke, and he lost all his gamesaves, because he couldn't access the disk anymore.

I keep my movies on the PC and stream them, so no need to install them on the PS3, although now I could.

But lately some games need an install on the HDD, like Heavy Rain f.ex., which installs almost 5GB. And if there's more games coming like this, I will be more than happy to have a bigger HDD.

Also one of the reasons I bought it, was the price, it was only 45€, which is not very expensive for a HDD that is bigger, faster and more silent than the old one.