Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mahoney and Kaktus - Sounds of Gnome

In the recent large collection of floppy disk I obtained (over 800) I've just discovered a music disk which is titled:

Mahoney and Kaktus presents - Sounds of Gnome.

It was quite hard to find the actual disk title as it is referred to as "Music Disk Number 2" in the disk interface, but in the scroller I just read it was released as "sounds of gnome".

It contains over 40 tracks, which I've been playing in longplay mode and so far I've not heard a bad one. In fact there are some really great tunes worth listening too. Really shows up some more recent tracker releases in the scene.

Has anyone else listened to this disk before? When I get time I will convert it into an ADF and add it to the demoscene directory on the main site.

You can also find it on Pouet here:

http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=5583

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

ELITE Staff Moderator
    My location

Snake Champion, Invasion Champion Puni/Void's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Great stuff. Will fire the music disk up again, as it has been a long time since I last saw something from Mahoney & Kaktus. Another excellent production from the Swedes is His Master's Noise (http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=8070). Some VERY good tunes in that one, not to mention the great design.
    Classicamiga.com Moderator/Demoscene Admin
    Member of the Amiga demo group Void
    Admin of Old School Game Blog

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mahoney and Kaktus were also the two guys behind Noisetracker, the original demoscene tracker program (Protracker, the very first tracker, was a commercial program from Electronic Arts). So they really knew a thing or two about musicmaking, yes.

Defintiely look at His Master's Noise. It has 101 tracks by a number of composers, plus an additional eight in a hidden part. Plus there's a ton of easter eggs to find. And you'll never tire of playing around with the mouse pointer. Great design as PG says, and also Mahoney's farewell song to the scene as this is where he announced he was quitting it.

And after all that time I spent creating an entry for this some time back, PG linked to pouet. tsk, tsk.