Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    ELITE Staff Moderator
    My location

Snake Champion, Invasion Champion Puni/Void's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Never could afford taking the drivers license, so I will start attending courses now in April or around that time. It's very expensive, but I've saved up a bit of cash to get me started.

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I aggree that the idea of pay per mile is silly, but when I said it would cut down on traffic, I was refering to people not wanting to drive due to the increased costs.

Do you use public transport for everything or do you get lifts from people? Consider if they're charging per mile, people may be far more reluctant to give you a lift if they know they're paying per mile (on top of the fuel cost).
    Ido gets lifts from my parents sometimes, but that is usually only because they are going there as well in the car or they are going past. e.g. I used to have a 3 mile journey to school. My mum used to take me in the car because she had to set off at around the same time as me and had to go past school to go to work. I do use the bus for this journey sometimes though and there is no problems with that as the busses are quite regular in my area.

As for learning to drive, or getting a driving licence, that is unlikely but possible. I think I'll make my decision about whether to learn to drive next year or wait until later when I'm 17 next year. I have just got a feeling that I wouldn't make a very good driver.

Actually getting car in the next few years is a big no though due to cost.

I quite like getting the bus or cycling though as you get plenty of fesh air and exercise with walking to the bus stop, and do not have to worry about creating any extra pollution.

Circumstances might be different for other people who do not have very good public transport but here the busses are good enough for my needs.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It is very true that in heavier populated areas people have a lot more choice regarding public transport, and in remote rural areas the public transport is verging on the non existent. For this reason there should be something in place to try and force people in urban areas to use public transport by making the driving of a car in such areas too expensive (congestion charges as in London) so this would work towards stopping cars in cities and more public transport being used.

But for this to work well a decent park and ride (bus, train, tram, underground etc) infrastructure needs to be in place in each city with such a scheme. For example, this does work in London as people living outside of the city tend to use a train to get into the city and then public transport to move around whilst there. This should be the standard everywhere, and in fact it did used to be before the governments and local councils of old started removing train lines, trams and other public services.

In fact I have never driven into central London. I always take the train and use public transport once there. This should be how it is in all cities throughout the UK, but sadly it isn't.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Average Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Cant wait till they charge u suckers per mile lol as long as it doesnt apply to bicycles

Although i hope there is a different charge for businesses and less congested roads as it will just be another example of British industry being destroyed this time by inflated road charges instead of overpriced fuel prices and tax.
    [URL="http://www2.b3ta.com/heyhey16k/"]Hey Hey 16k by Rob Manuel[/URL] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I cannot see them charging differently for businesses, but they were stating that pricing would be dependant on the hour travelling and the road you are on. But this would just push drivers off of the motorways and back onto the A and B back roads, going through city centres, rather than using a ring road. Completely not what we want to see happen.

And we already pay tax by the mile via fuel taxes. This new idea is just another scheme the government have thought up to try and regain all the money they have wasted on other things or are losing due to issues that should not even exist.

The biggest of these issues at the moment has to be the supporting of immigrants who are using all of our public services for free as soon as they enter the country, as well as claiming income support and other benefits, and yet they have never contributed anything into our economy. If the government really wanted to find a way to sort out a lack of funds this is the issue they need to address! After all, if we went and lived in their countries would we get similar handouts for free?

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Deadly VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes the freedom to travel anywhere.
    And then when you do arrive, the freedom to drink coke.
    That type of freedom, I can live without.
    Give me ale.

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Its all just another way to get money...in the end it doesnt solve the problem.You need to offer a better alternative if you want it to work
    Check out my blog - submeg.com/