Mostly Harmless Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

The Retro Remix Amiga Game Making Competition

Hi everyone!

Due to the overwhelming success and response of the Festive Amiga Game Making Competition, the team at Underground Arcade has decided to host quarterly competitions which means you will be given the chance to enter four different Amiga game-making contests each year and win some amazing Amiga prizes!

So, are you ready for it now? Our next competition theme is... RETRO REMIX! The challenge is to remake any game you like for the Amiga. It doesn't have to be an exact remake or clone of the original game, but could be more like a "Deluxe" or "Lite" version, or perhaps a sequel.

This time you'll have two months to complete your entry, starting now. All of the entries must be uploaded and ready to play by March 31st 2010. We will be announcing the full list of really cool prizes over the next few weeks so stay tuned! I can say that the prizes we have so far are really fantastic! I would like to thank everyone who has contributed to this competition's prize pool and if anyone wants to donate any more prizes, please let me know by private message or email, thanks!

The rules of this "Retro Remix" competition are here:

1. This time, we're giving you two months to work on your game. If your game isn't finished by the end of the time limit (March 31st), upload it anyway but have at least one playable level or a demo of the game completed.

2. The game you make for this competition must be playable on either classic OCS or AGA Amigas. This way, it'll reach more people who have classic hardware, or have access to UAE. If you want to port your "remixed" game to another system - AROS, MorphOS or OS4, feel free to as long as your final competition entry will work on a classic Amiga.

3. The game you "remix" must be based on an already existing game on any system (including Amiga) and you must clearly state in the ReadMe file which game you are basing it on too.

4. Ripped graphics are allowed, but keep in mind that enhanced or new graphics can sometimes improve your chances in the competition.

Feel free to use any software you like to create your game, including the use of game editors such as Backbone, SEUCK, GRAC/GRAAL or program it yourself if you like. If you need any help getting started on your game, please let us know and we'll try our best to help you.

If your talent lies mainly in one particular field, such as music arrangement and composition, or perhaps you're a coder or graphic artist who doesn't feel up to creating an entire game on your own, why not consider teaming up with others and sharing the prizes. Post away and let people know about your skills and ideas, and maybe there'll be someone else who wants the help you have to offer.

That's all for now! Good luck everyone and don't forget to keep checking back for news on prizes and more!
    The Amiga rules!

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Sounds great fun. I look forward to seeing the entries for the next one.

BTW, does Underground Arcade have a website? You don't include any links.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Downloads
    Uploads
    We have a domain name and web hosting for Underground Arcade but unfortunately we can't afford a web designer. As soon as the Underground Arcade website is finished though, we'll have a link up to it.
    The Amiga rules!

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, if you need any help building a site let me know. Would be happy to help.

You might want to take a look at Joomla, which is a CMS, and it makes building and updating a website very easy. Similar to Wordpress if you have ever used that, but much more advanced and not just centred around blogging, more the construction of whole sites. The main Classicamiga.com is running on Joomla for example.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm sorry but the website we want to make for Underground Arcade has to be coded in HTML so it will be fully compatible with IBrowse and AWeb. Thanks for your offer to help though.
    The Amiga rules!

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Wasn't there a newer browser with better support for XHTML, CSS and DHTML released for classic Amigas recently?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Netsurf and OWB for classic Amigas are still much to slow to run on anything less than a 060 with RTG, neither of them run on AGA Amigas unfortunately. IBrowse, as old as it is, is still our best option for browsing the web with real classic Amiga hardware.

---------- Post added at 01:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:06 PM ----------

Hi everyone,

Since it seems like there haven't been any entries submitted and it looks like two months isn't enough time for this competition, we decided that we will extend the Retro Remix Amiga Game Making Competition for another month to give more people time to work on their entries and polish them up. The competition will now end on the 30th of April.

I'll repost the rules again just so everyone is clear on them. Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions about the rules, I want this to be a fun and enjoyable competition for everyone!

1. This time, we're giving you two months to work on your game. If your game isn't finished by the end of the time limit (April 30th), upload it anyway but have at least one playable level or a demo of the game completed.

2. The game you make for this competition must be playable on either classic OCS or AGA Amigas. This way, it'll reach more people who have classic hardware, or have access to UAE. If you want to port your "remixed" game to another system - AROS, MorphOS or OS4, feel free to as long as your final competition entry will work on a classic Amiga.

3. The game you "remix" must be based on an already existing game on any system (including Amiga) and you must clearly state in the ReadMe file which game you are basing it on too. For example, a remake of arcade classics such as Pac-Man and Space Invaders or any game you like. Sometimes the more simple games are more fun!

4. Ripped graphics are allowed, but keep in mind that enhanced or new graphics can sometimes improve your chances in the competition.

By the way, any programming language and game-making tools you want to use for the competition are allowed as long as the final game runs on a classic OCS/AGA Amiga, either on real hardware or through emulation. This includes the use of game editors such as Backbone, GRAC, GRAAL, SEUCK and Reality.

Also, here's a link to the previous competition page - http://amigachristmastree.condor.ser...mpetition.html in case anyone missed it and needs inspiration/motivation to work on games for this Retro Remix competition. If you need help at all, please ask on the forum too, I'm sure there's going to be someone who can help you out!

Thank you to everyone who offered prizes for this competition, it would be very much appreciated by the Amiga community and myself. If you have a serious offer for donating prizes, please private message me and let me know so I can add it to the prize pool. Maybe having more prizes will motivate people more.
    The Amiga rules!