Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Apple IPAD

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have both PC and Mac, and this thing is just a really expensive paperweight at best. It doesn't make much sense at all...
    Check out my blog - submeg.com/

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    For me, it doesn't seem like it will do anything that my PC, laptop or Newton doesn't already do. If I wanted a tablet pc I would probably just get a PC type.

I still don't really see the appeal of things like iPhones, but that is partly down to the small screen. I don't really see how you are supposed to be able to do things like web browsing with such a tiny screen. The iPad of course, is a lot bigger and would be much easier to read.

I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

Adventurer Speed Biker Champion, Tadpole Champion, Pearl Hunt Champion, Spacerunner 2 Champion, Marble Mayhem Champion, Galaxians Champion, Starfrosch Champion, K Tire Racing Champion, Way of the stick Champion Phantom's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    iLOL.....
    [b]To Be A True Adventurer, You Ought To Play Real Text Adventures[/b]

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Great

Harmless Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hello All,
    Apple Ipad was really great gadget to have but i would like to say something about it's screen is gorgeous, tilting is responsive, and the thing is super thin. Still, if you've used the iPhone before -- and you
    [url=http://www.zoombits.co.uk/]digital camera memory cards[/url]

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    LOL too good!
    Check out my blog - submeg.com/

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    A news story today.

Some owners of the newly-available iPad have reported problems with connecting their devices to wi-fi.

Hundreds have complained about weak signals on the tablet computer.

Apple acknowledged on its support page that "under certain conditions, iPad may not automatically rejoin a known wi-fi network".

It offered a fix, but suggested that it was a router issue, despite some users saying that other devices worked fine on the same wi-fi connection.

Typical comments on the Apple support page included Dr JB who wrote: "Wi-fi reception seems weak with slow downloads."

prb44t replied: "I'm having the same issues. Weak signal on the iPad, same spot iPhone works great. Very frustrating."

But others reported that they had no problems.

Some speculated that the problem might be related to the position of the wi-fi antenna on the device, while others said it could be a software bug.

Apple said that the problem could be caused by dual-band routers and suggested users created a separate network name for each band.

But this will not solve the problem for everyone, pointed out Adam Leach, principle analyst at research firm Ovum.

"If you are using public wi-fi, then you are not going to be able to make changes to router settings," he said.

If the bug proves to be software-related, it will be easily solved, but if it turns out to be a problem for the device, it could be more of a headache for Apple.

"If the wi-fi problem is hardware-related, it will force a number of returns, which will be costly for Apple and ruin the experience for the first adopters," he said.

Other reported glitches with the new device include some complaints about charging it and uploading applications.

The iPad went on sale in the US on 3 April and sold more than 300,000 units on its first day.

Apple said that one million applications and more than 250,000 e-books were downloaded on the same day.

A model offering both wi-fi and 3G connectivity will go on sale in the US and the UK later this month.
    I wouldn't have thought there would be many return because most the people who would have bought one are vaccuous bastards who would only care how it looks not how you actually use the damn thing.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

My location

Downloads
    Uploads

iPhone? iCon.

This is more for the iPhone but you know it'll be appearing on the iPad.
    Apple has shown off some of the 100 new features to be included in the iPhone operating system later this year.

The update includes a mobile advertising platform called iAd that will be used to place adverts in applications made by third parties.

Apple founder Steve Jobs also showcased a long-awaited multi-tasking feature, which will allow users run more than one program at a time.

The feature is already included in many other smartphones.

iAd marks Apple's first foray into a potentially lucrative new market, and pits it directly against Google's search engine advertising model.

Apple will allow external developers to pocket 60% of ad revenue from iAd.

The Apple boss said the iPhone OS 4.0 update will be released first for the iPhone and iPod touch, and then the iPad, later this year.

'Ad-sense'

Apple boss Steve Jobs gave a demonstration of the multi-tasking feature showed the online radio station Pandora running in the background playing music while a user could either read news online or deal with email.

"We weren't the first to this party but we're going to be the best," he said.

Some of the other features unveiled at the presentation at Apple's headquarters in California include being able to create specific folders to store third party applications downloaded from iTunes, enhanced mail, which will gather e-mail from multiple accounts into one "unified" inbox and iBooks, which is already on the iPad.

Mr Jobs said mobile users spend more time inside applications than searching the internet.

Therefore it made sense to have adverts within the applications - or apps as they are commonly known.

"It's very clear that [Mr] Jobs believes that ads in the context of apps makes more sense than generic mobile search," said Tim Bajarin at consulting company Creative Strategies.
    So there you are trying to do your work when up comes an ad for ***** enlargement or p0rn sites. Great way to improve productivity.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It was going to happen at some point soon. The market share in software sales is continuing to drop, so the only way to generate continued revenue is through advertising costs. It is a model used in all media formats right from news papers, through to radio and TV, and most recently the internet. Selling space for advertising is the one revenue generating stream that works across all types of media and guarantees some return to aid the continued development of whatever media format it is being used for.

However, I do object to advertising being at the centre of commercial products themselves. It isn't the same as a media format. You don't expect to buy a TV and during a DVD the TV downloads some adverts and sticks them at the top of the film you are watching. This is basically what Apple are going to be doing. This is obtrusive and not how most marketing advertisements work in other media types.

One thing I hadn't realised until reading that quotes article is that the iPhone isn't currently multitasking. I thought it was. So currently you couldn't be listening to music and look through your emails or compose a text at the same time? I've been able to do that with my Nokia for a long time.

Although I'm not surprised. Look at the Apple Mac. That didn't get multitasking until OSX!

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!