Poll: Which version of Workbench have you used the most?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    There's 2 versions of MorphOS one for A1's and PPC based computers and one of PowerUP Classic Amigas although the PowerUp version doesn't recognise a lot of the IDE adapters and has a strange registration system whereby it will work at normal speed for 2hrs and then after that it will slow down considerably unless you use the registration programme in MorphOS which means you have to be able to connect your Ami to 'tinternet.

For more info on PowerUP MorphOS goto http://powerup.morphos-team.net/. As far as i know as MorphOs was designed for Pegasos it should work with pegasosII
    Last edited by Buleste; 26th November 2007 at 12:08. Reason: Double posting - posts have been automerged
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

The Darth Popsicle! VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Workbench 1.3 for me.

I only bought the A1200 when Commodore was about to go bankrupt, so I've only used 3.0 for a relatively short period of time.

Shortly after Commodore was no more, I bought a PC (for school work) and a PlayStation (for games), and I haven't used the A1200 much since then.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It's interesting that you bought a PC for work and a Playstation for gaming as I did much the same thing, but in my case I was using an A1200 for my design foundation work, and then upgraded to a second-hand Amiga A4000 for my university work, and bought a Playstation for gaming.

I could see that with the death of Commodore that the gaming community was quickly moving on and leaving our beloved platform behind, even with the purchase by Escom, so while we could still get some new games, anything next generation at the time in full 3D was just beyond the Amiga by then. So rather than spend thousands on a PC the Playstation was perfect. And the Amiga was still perfectly capable of doing everything else I needed (animation, graphics, word processing, DTP etc).

I did however eventually have to bite the bullet and buy into the PC world in 1998 though as my university course work required design and multimedia packages (Photoshop, illustrator, Director, Flash, Dreamweaver etc...) that the Amiga just could not compete with. That was a sad day as the Amiga quickly became a second system and the PC took over as my main one.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I did a simmilar thing except i didn't get a Playstation. I got a Sega Saturn, N64 the GC for gaming. my Amiga has retired to mostly Nostalgia as although i now have a PPC there's nothing out there to show it off with and my graphics card is Great for Workbench but useless for almost everything else. As a hradware platform Amiga is pretty much dead. I can't comment on OS4 as I haven't tried it yet but unless it's a huge improvement on 3.9 then that's a dead end.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

The Darth Popsicle! VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It sure wasn't easy 'abandoning' my trusty Amiga and moving onto something new, though. After all, I'd owned the thing for years, spending many evenings playing some of the most memorable games in the history of gaming. It was a genuinely sad thing to see support for the Amiga dying slowly in the waning days of Commodore, seeing friends selling their Amigas in favour of something else.

I never felt sad when I moved on from the PlayStation to the PlayStation 2, or from PS2 to PS3, even though I must've spent at least as much time on those as I had with the ol' 'miggy. That's enough of a testament to how dear the Amiga platform was to me, and to most of us here on CA!

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Very true.

Also my allegence to specific platforms ended after the Amiga. From the 16-bit era onwards the Amiga was the only platform I've ever really felt like defending when arguments flared up over which was better.

But as soon as I owned a Playstation and then a PC I was suddenly looking more at the games than the platform they were on. For that reason ever since I've ended up owning nearly every platform on the market and picking the best games for each, rather than sticking to a specific platform, being loyal, and missing many great games.

It is strange because I remember at the time the Amiga was at it's height seeing games on the Megadrive and SNES and wishing they were on the Amiga, but not actually buying a SNES because it wasn't an Amiga! But then towards the end of the SNES's life I did buy one and all the games I wanted to play over the years and realised what a great gaming platform it was. The Amiga was a better overall system, but i think being completely loyal to one platform can force you to miss out on great games released on everything else.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still a fan of the Amiga before any other platform of the era and always will be (with the exception of arcade machines of course). But looking at things today I wouldn't say I'm a fan of one platform on sale today over any other. I enjoy playing games on anything and everything if the game is good. The platform doesn't seem to mater quite so much.

Deadly VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    OS4.0 being a massive improvement on 3.9 is not going to change much.
    It's not the OS that's the problem.

Comming home to use 3.9 after being stuck with XP all day is an absolute joy.

It's the lack of modern hardware, apps and to some degree games, is the problem.
    Sam440EP & AOS4.1, 250 gig SATA HD & DVD Rewriter.

Towered A1200 3.1 rom, OS3.9 and OS4.0
    PPC 166 mhz 060 50mhz, 192 meg.
    Buffered Interface, 40 & 80 gig HDs, CD & DVD Rewriters.
    Mediator 1200TX, Voodoo 5500, Radeon ATI 9200, Audio, USB, Ethernet, TV/FM.
    Card reader and 19" TFT Monitor.

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I find coming home to use my own Windows computer nice if I have been using someone's badly setup windows computer all day (this mostly happened at school).

I'm sure the software situation will improve, especially when we get some new hardware to run OS4 one. But so far, MindSpace and AmiPhoto look quite interesting. I could probably make use of those two if I had OS4.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    So many people use badly configured OSs, or they just keep installing junk on them and then moaning that their machines are slow. Laptops always seem the worst.

Deadly VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Very true.
    People really don`t help themselves.
    Sam440EP & AOS4.1, 250 gig SATA HD & DVD Rewriter.

Towered A1200 3.1 rom, OS3.9 and OS4.0
    PPC 166 mhz 060 50mhz, 192 meg.
    Buffered Interface, 40 & 80 gig HDs, CD & DVD Rewriters.
    Mediator 1200TX, Voodoo 5500, Radeon ATI 9200, Audio, USB, Ethernet, TV/FM.
    Card reader and 19" TFT Monitor.