Poll: Will you be upgrading to Vista?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I expect the 2009 OS will be a server release, not a successor to Vista. Windows server 2008.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
    its kinda sickening to be honnest looking at the need for a quite a dreary and somewhat poot OS, 600MB ram just to boot..... thats... thats f*cking disgusting....
    Do you think Bill got his measurement wrong? 640MB maybe!

And yes, it is very out of order for an OS to need that just to boot. But saying that even the most popular Distros of Linux now require at least 256MB to install and boot which I think needs to be looked at as that is getting too much. I have Fedora 4 on my old laptop with 128MB of ram, but can't upgrade to version 7 as it doesn't have enough ram!

Deadly Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    @Harrison

I have to admit (sorry for the OT guys)

but I found Fedora core 3 better than the latter models... mind you saying that I miss my slackware build.... sigh....

there really is no need for hundreds of megabytes for booting... an operating system is by nature there to facilitate resrouces not suck them dry!

crazy!
    If i had a hammer, I would hammer in the morning, i would hammer in the evening, i would hammer all day

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I think for this you still can't beat Workbench/Amiga OS. It has always been a light weight OS in terms of resources needed compared to nearly every other OS.

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by J T View Post
    I'm happy to wait it out for a while. I haven't used the PC for games in quite a while, and don't really need DX10.

I'd like to see Vista running with the natty Aero interface and all that, but am not so keen that I'm going to upgrade my hardware.
    So I got a bit fed up of messing about with updates for the copy of XP MCE that Harrison ('lent' - Ed.) to me and bought an (OEM, natch) copy of Vista 64 home premium.

Full experience to follow later but so far I'm actually quite impressed. It's very neat and looks good. Took a bastard long time to install though - so long, in fact, that I went to bed and left it running overnight.

I kept XP on the machine as well, just in case

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Vista 64 drivers are meant to be much better now compared to the problems they had when it first launched. And with the 64 bit version you can utilise a full 4GB of ram in your system if you wished.

Older pre DX10 games will however still run faster in XP.

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mm, yes. I have some faulty sticks of RAM to go back to crucial - I just got another set to try. Turns out they were the reason for those fookin BSODs that were plaguing me. Now the system seems rock-steady with this new set. I am pleased.

When I get replacements for the old ones I'll have 4gig RAM. Probably overkill but why the hell not?

Was quite surprised at how easy it was to get 64 bit drivers. Was a bit concerned it may be fiddly but it all seems OK so far. There's a few unidentified things showing in device manager - think it's something to do with the chipset ACPI something or other. Will go back and use the XP lists to get details and then try and hunt down the vista stuff. Everything seems to be runnig OK so I'm not too concerned at the moment.

IE is a bit slow. Think it's to do with all the phishing/spam/spyware scanny stuff on top of what was an already slow (compared to firefox) browser. Apparently FF3 is buggy on Vista64. I've yet to try it, but will be looking to get back to using FF soon as my main browser.

Older pre DX10 games will however still run faster in XP.
    I can boot to XP MCE still easily enough. One thing though - the boot selection screen only appears for a brief second. If I want to boot XP I have to be ready to jab the keyboard quickly before the selection disappears and vista boots. Any way to give me a little longer to choose?

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    You can set the timer and other options for the boot menu in the BIOS setup I think. Hit DEL or F1 (varies) immediately when booting the PC to enter it.

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Teho View Post
    You can set the timer and other options for the boot menu in the BIOS setup I think. Hit DEL or F1 (varies) immediately when booting the PC to enter it.
    If JT is on about the boot menu provided by Windows, then this time delay is set in the boot.ini file on the boot disk.

timeout=3 will set the delay to 3 seconds.

Alternatively it can be set in Control Panels/System Properties/Advanced/Startup and Recovery.

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, yeah. But I was sure you could do that from the BIOS as well? Guess I remembered it wrong then, I haven't had more than on OS on a system in years. Sorry for any confusion then.