ELITE Staff Moderator
    My location

Snake Champion, Invasion Champion Puni/Void's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

MorphOS on PowerMac G4

While browsing MorphZone, I found the following newsitem. Thought it might be of interest to some of you.

Here's the link: http://www.morphzone.org/module/news/article.php?storyid=1716

"MorphOS also runs on PowerMAC G4 systems now and support for other new world PowerMACs will probably only depend on some validation.

At the moment my test system is a PowerMAC 1.42Ghz Dual CPU MDD(Mirror Drive) F800 with a Radeon9000 which is the last generation of these G4 PowerMACs.
    A PowerMAC(probably Quicksilver) with 1.8 Ghz should arrive here this week, though with an useless Mach32 gfxcard installed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Mac_G4

gives a good overview over the different PowerMAC modells.
    The problem is that you can only really expect an equipped ATI 9000 gfxcard with these MDD modells, otherwise you need to get an Apple Radeon 9000 or maybe a 9800 in the future.

These Apple specific gfxcards are more expensive for rarity reasons I suppose but there is a website to flash specific PC Radeons into Apple versions but I haven't tried that yet.
    But I definitely look into that for a Radeon 9800.

http://themacelite.wikidot.com/ati-radeon

At the moment the prices for these systems are extremely attractive. I got the last generation MDD modell for 270Euro last month, probably a bit overpriced but it is rarer than any other last generation G4.

But these MDDs don't seem to be easy to upgrade the cpu, so if somebody is really interested in a faster G4 cpucard you should better go for Quicksilver modells.
    The older MDD(non F800) also seem to have a reputation for being noisy but there are specific fan replacement kits for them.

The 1.8Ghz(Sonnet cpucard) one I got for around 140Euro and similar versions sold between 100 and 200Euro so these kind of systems don't seem to be that rare. I've definitely seen several of them the last weeks.

So, if you're interested into these systems for MorphOS in the near future you should pay attention on ebay and look for the right modell as official MorphOS support for them can be expected sooner than later. Definitely a lot easier than catching a 1.5Ghz Mac Mini."
    Classicamiga.com Moderator/Demoscene Admin
    Member of the Amiga demo group Void
    Admin of Old School Game Blog

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I read that MOS did now run on G4's and this really interests me more than buying a Mac Mini with its restricted design for this purpose. I'm really tempted to pick up a G4 now for this, and to try out a few other PPC OSs. I will have to get clued up on what variations and models of G4 existed as there were so many over the years I never kept track.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!