Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have to agree with everything you said. XBMC is brilliant and connects and streams media so easily from any computer on the lan. And as you say, it always feels like you are in full control with complete FTP access to everything on the HDD making it so easy.

I still prefer the PS2 for the games available, especially RPGs as there are so many, but the Xbox as a system is definitely nicer to use once modded.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Mostly Harmless Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I had completely forgot about this thread

the funny thing is, my xbox is now the only way i am playing amiga games now. I managed to upgrade the HDD pretty easily following a youtube tutorial a while back and now it has a massive collection of amiga (+cd32) games as well as emulators for every decent system up to an including the N64. I get mixed results with the games for that and it screams out for a ram upgrade which is way too complicated for my liking!

Watching movies either streaming or after ftping them works well but its the plugins and scrips which have never seemed to work properly for me, with the iplayer and youtube plugins being my biggest tormentor they would really polish off a quite decent bit of kit!

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've never tried any of the plugins for iPlayer, Youtube etc. I might gave that a go now you have mentioned it.

I still use my Xbox all the time to stream music and films to the main TV. A great media player. The original Xbox is now getting quite old, but thanks to softmodding has had its life extended indefinitely. It was always a great console, technically beating everything at the time, but forever unfairly maligned by both the press and public. I always enjoyed my Xbox anyway, even if it did suffer from a much smaller catalogue of AAA games compared to the PS2 and PC at the time.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Mostly Harmless Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, as these things normally go, it was a frustratingly simple fix for iplayer which after months of messing around I delved back into after posting here. Turns out my DNS settings were not quite right for my router so after I had sorted that out I used the SVN Repo Installer (which in turn, due to the incorrect settings hadn't worked properly either) to update it.

I had unknowingly been using a waaaaaaaaaaaay out of date plugin so after that was installed along with the correct DNS settings it woks flawlessly! Its a nice little way of catching up in comfort rather than being sat in front of the lappy t!

After having a look on the xbmc4xbox forum the youtube pluggin seems to be having issues for everybody atm unfortunately. Now mainstream support has been dropped for the xbox version things like that might take a while to get sorted, if ever.