C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads

Password restore

Some minutes ago my uncle was here with his PC, he put a password some days ago, but couldn't remember it anymore. So I booted the PC with the Hiren's boot CD, and reset it, which worked perfectly.

But this made me really think, how protected is your PC, even it's passworded?

For those who dare! ClassicWB dev
    VIP
    Forum Mod
    Chopper Challenge Champion, The Collector Champion, BombJack Arcade Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Paintballing - Assault Champion, Tower 13 - Adventures In Body Saving Champion, Himalayaya Champion, Sea Dogs Champion, Yeti Sports 1- Long Shot Version Champion, Operation Switchover Champion Bloodwych's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Anyone with physical access to a PC using the standard password feature can access someone else’s account if they know what they're doing.

Windows XP Home even has a default Admin account you can use to change permissions and take control of files and folders using F8 safe mode on boot.

The password is a security precaution to protect network users logging into your account and help IT administrators in business with network permissions; it's a "by product" of this network function that also prevents those who have little knowledge about PC's snooping at your files in family multi-user environments.

To keep things truly private, you have to use an encrypted filesystem - NTFS supports this. The problem is, if you forget your password or loose the encryption key by reformatting (and not backing it up first), you can say goodbye to all your files. Impossible to recover. With this in mind, you can see why Microsoft doesn't enable such privacy by default.

---------- Post added at 09:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 AM ----------

Just like to add that Microsoft are also good at creating a false sense of security with such practices, as you have highlighted Demon Cleaner!!!!

Windows is designed for the laymen to use, so never take for granted anything about its design. Make it private and secure yourself by doing some research and installing your own programs!
    Last edited by Bloodwych; 12th November 2009 at 08:58.
    Live Long and Procrastinate
    A500 Batman Pack
    Classic Workbench

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Very true. Windows isn't that secure by default. It is why most businesses use domain based accounts.

Fir home users though, they don't really need anything more. Most personal data held on a home computer isn't that sensitive compared to business users, and the basic Windows password protection is enough to keep sisters, brothers or prying friends out of your account and files. Whilst at the same time being weak enough to bypass with a disc like HiRens by someone with a bit more knowledge if the password is forgotten, meaning not all is lost if the owner does get into trouble logging in.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mines secure. It's insured so if someone nicks it I'll get a better one.Yes I do realise you're on about security and how safe are passwords but I thought I'd scare people and make them think I'm a bigger moron than I actually am.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm the only one using my computer, so all passwords are disabled here.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Same for me. I configure my systems to boot directly to the desktop.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't use passwords either. Main PC is running 24/7 anyway.