Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    ELITE Staff Moderator
    My location

Snake Champion, Invasion Champion Puni/Void's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

MAC - Leopard OS

Since I'm thinking about buying a Mac Mini, I'm interested in hearing peoples opinion about the Leopard OS. How does it compare to Windows XP for example? Easy to use and get into? Can it be customized in a variety of ways? Does it take a long time to boot? Does it have any functions Windows doesn't have?

Hope to hear your opinion about Leopard versus Windows.
    Classicamiga.com Moderator/Demoscene Admin
    Member of the Amiga demo group Void
    Admin of Old School Game Blog

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Out of interest, are you referring to a PPC or an Intel Mac Mini? Also, may I ask why you are interested in getting a Mac ?

Unfortunately I haven't had the opportunity to use Leopard (other than briefly clicking a few buttons in the Apple Store), but I used Tiger and liked it. Back when Leopard was announced, I remember it just seemed to contain some additions to Tiger that I would probably not use, but I'm not saying that they are useless to everyone, as I have come across plenty of people on various forums that like them.

I have always found MacOS X to be a nice operating system, but as I'm sure people here will agree, it isn't as customisable as Windows.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That is very true. You definitely can't customise OSX as much as Windows. And you are forced to work in the way that the designers of the Mac OS wish you to. I've never liked the huge launch pad thing sitting at the bottom of OSX. That bugs me. And I find the fixed menu bar at the top of the screen quite dated. I much prefer Windows way of having the programs menu bar at the top of the program's own window. Makes much more sense.

However, other than differences in how it works. Mac OSX is just as capable of doing pretty much the same tasks as XP or Vista. It just does them differently. So you will either like how it does things, or not. Its like Marmite, you either love it or hate it.

Oh, and the lack of software, games and up to date emulation doesn't help its cause.

But then I bet you knew I was going to say something like that.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Average Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I haven't used Leopard, I'm still on Panther. I switched from XP to OS X 5 years ago and I do prefer using it day-to-day. As Harrison said, emulation isn't as good as what you can get for XP, and games are virtually non-existent, but you don't buy OS X for games.

Finder sucks beyond belief - Win Explorer is functionally much better, but there are good alternatives to Finder.

Funnily enough, I hate Windows Task Bar, the Dock is better!

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    @Cortona

Have you seen the changes to the Windows Task bar with Windows 7? I think it could change your mind. Gone are the little quick launch icons. Replaced with the ability to drag and attach any icons you like to the bar, a bit like the Mac Dock I suppose. And the rest of the bar works a bit differently now too.

Above Average Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    OMG, i can't believe that i hear things like "Mac os can do pretty much the same as windows..." when windows is just attempting (badly) to copy what MAC OS offers for like 10 years.

Leopard beats all that windows has when it comes to desktop. Software integration is the key of Mac OS, all seems faded together as 1 software and not that horrible patchwork that windows looks like.
    When it comes to customisation, you can go the way you want and are ABSOLUTELY not obliged to work the way the developper of MAC OS want. You can change pretty much all you want and that is, without installing 9951451 third party softwares. You can even disable the dock if you don't like it... To be honest, the evolution of XP to Vista and 7 is just an atempt to copy Leopard, but let's face it, when it comes to design, windows fails.

Sorry, but thisplace needs a bit of MAC love and i'm here to bring it

ELITE Staff Moderator
    My location

Snake Champion, Invasion Champion Puni/Void's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Coates View Post
    Out of interest, are you referring to a PPC or an Intel Mac Mini? Also, may I ask why you are interested in getting a Mac ?

Unfortunately I haven't had the opportunity to use Leopard (other than briefly clicking a few buttons in the Apple Store), but I used Tiger and liked it. Back when Leopard was announced, I remember it just seemed to contain some additions to Tiger that I would probably not use, but I'm not saying that they are useless to everyone, as I have come across plenty of people on various forums that like them.

I have always found MacOS X to be a nice operating system, but as I'm sure people here will agree, it isn't as customisable as Windows.
    Hi there Stephen,

Thanks for the quick response. I'm referring to the G4 powered Mac Mini. The main reason for wanting one is MorphOS. Having both Mac and MorphOS on one machine looks like a good combination.

Good to know that the difference between Tiger and Leopard isn't that great. That means that if the machine has Tiger pre-installed, it is not a big disadvantage.

---------- Post added at 12:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    However, other than differences in how it works. Mac OSX is just as capable of doing pretty much the same tasks as XP or Vista. It just does them differently. So you will either like how it does things, or not. Its like Marmite, you either love it or hate it.

Oh, and the lack of software, games and up to date emulation doesn't help its cause.

But then I bet you knew I was going to say something like that.
    Thanks for the input, Harrison. I'll have a look around to see what the Mac has to offer in the emulation department. As for software and games, I'm happy if it can run Civilization IV (must check this ). I know you can on Mac's with Intel, but I'm not sure when it comes to PPC.

---------- Post added at 12:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by my_lo View Post
    OMG, i can't believe that i hear things like "Mac os can do pretty much the same as windows..." when windows is just attempting (badly) to copy what MAC OS offers for like 10 years.

Leopard beats all that windows has when it comes to desktop. Software integration is the key of Mac OS, all seems faded together as 1 software and not that horrible patchwork that windows looks like.
    When it comes to customisation, you can go the way you want and are ABSOLUTELY not obliged to work the way the developper of MAC OS want. You can change pretty much all you want and that is, without installing 9951451 third party softwares. You can even disable the dock if you don't like it... To be honest, the evolution of XP to Vista and 7 is just an atempt to copy Leopard, but let's face it, when it comes to design, windows fails.

Sorry, but thisplace needs a bit of MAC love and i'm here to bring it
    That sounds great! After reading this, I'm more tempted than before.

---------- Post added at 12:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Cortona View Post
    I haven't used Leopard, I'm still on Panther. I switched from XP to OS X 5 years ago and I do prefer using it day-to-day. As Harrison said, emulation isn't as good as what you can get for XP, and games are virtually non-existent, but you don't buy OS X for games.

Finder sucks beyond belief - Win Explorer is functionally much better, but there are good alternatives to Finder.

Funnily enough, I hate Windows Task Bar, the Dock is better!
    Cheers Cor(t)ona! Doesn't seem like the PPC Mac is great when it comes to games, but that's not a big problem. Thanks!
    Classicamiga.com Moderator/Demoscene Admin
    Member of the Amiga demo group Void
    Admin of Old School Game Blog

Average Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    @Cortona

Have you seen the changes to the Windows Task bar with Windows 7? I think it could change your mind. Gone are the little quick launch icons. Replaced with the ability to drag and attach any icons you like to the bar, a bit like the Mac Dock I suppose. And the rest of the bar works a bit differently now too.
    I haven't seen anything of Windows 7 yet. It'll probably take 10 years for the company I work for to upgrade from XP (and IE6). Good to hear drag-and-drop is better supported - I'm a big fan.

P G, The sum-total of my PPC Mac games collection over the last five years is Starwars Battlefront, Doom 3, Jet Set Willy and oolite. I miss those Might & Magic games on the PC! For emulation, I use E-UAE and Power64 (shareware).

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Harrison, what do you mean about Quick launch being gone. I havn't seen Windows 7, but from your description, I get the impression that you can add any icon you want to something which replaces Quick Launch, which is exactly what I can do currently with both Quick Launch and the Dock.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Steve, you need to have a play around with Win 7 the next time you are in a shop, then you will see what I mean. The functionality of the older task bar is still there, but it has now been made much more streamlined and smoother to use. Definitely prefer it.

Apple never copied anyone else's ideas now did they?

And Apple even ditched their own existing OS with OSX and switched to a free open source NeXT UNIX style OS to finally be able to have a stable OS and multitasking. 2 things the Mac didn't have before.

It can't do as much because it doesn't have as much software available, fact. And in this I'm referring to emulation and games alongside applications.

I also find Mac OSX very restricted compared to Vista.

You are honestly saying file management using Finder is good?

And software integration is high because most of the only software available on the Mac is made by Apple themselves. You expect integration to be high when made by the same company as the OS.

The Mac also still uses a file structure which no other computer can open or use. Not good in a world where people like to share files.

But, at the end of the day it comes down to one thing. If you own and use a Mac and prefer it, the software it has does what you wish and you find it easier/nicer to use, and you don't need anything that Mac OS doesn't offer, then fair enough. Use it.

All I'm trying to say is that in the wider world, if you are a gaming, like emulation and also like the widest choice of software than the PC is really the old option. The Mac restricts these things too much for me ever to consider it as a direct alternative to the PC. Except Intel Macs are PCs, so everyone is in fact now using PCs anyway... case closed.

Except Intel Macs had low end graphics cards compared to availability on the PC, so even running Vista on an Intel Mac, you won't be able to play the latest games.