Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've been in my current team at work for 4 years now. When I started, I'd never used macs - but this team have a big thing for macs, and so I've been using them now for a while. Stand by for a JT INFOBLAST.

The Macs are OS X, I have no idea what version.
    They tend to freeze up more than I'd like.
    They sure do look nice.
    The one button mouse is gay.
    White really shows up the dirt.
    They have some good things, and some bad things.
    They don't really seem much better or worse in day to day use than a PC.

And that, my friends, is the sum total of four years experience. Fear my insight and ability to disseminate the TRUTH.

Would I buy a Mac? Very unlikely. I'm just too used to the PC. Maybe if I wanted a little laptop I'd get one.

I've got an iPhone, though - and it's the bomb diggy.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Great summary JT.

And your points just made me thing of something. The real reason I don't like the Mac is because it is too generic. Some might laugh at that statement, saying the PC is the generic one, but you can build a PC in any case, with any components and OS/software you like. With the Mac you get what Apple put in the white case/box and that is it. The Mac is like a Washing Machine or Microwave, house white goods. A generic home computer for email, the internet and managing your iTunes collection. It is no soul or spark of life. I would recommend one to someone with no computer skills that only wanted to do the essential computing tasks like internet, email, word processing as they need nothing more. No need to get into the nuts and bolts of the system, no need to install games or emulation. For them it is perfect. For everyone else it is boring, bland, and American.

The Mac is the complete opposite of the Amiga.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by J T View Post
    I've got an iPhone, though - and it's the bomb diggy.
    I'll never get a iPhone. It makes people loose the power of speaking (or typing) in a normal way.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Same here. It removes people's ability to interact in social situations. Instead sitting there playing with their latest "App", and rather than talking to the person sat next to them they have to communicate via the iPhone.
    Last edited by Harrison; 10th November 2009 at 16:17.

Poor Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    Great summary JT.

For everyone else it is boring, bland, and American.

Hmmmmm.. as an AMERICAN I take exception to this statement... And must remind you that the Amiga was designed and built in America. IT IS American...

(And just so you don't read too much into it, I am just sayin'!... I am not really worked up about it, but couldn't COMPLETELY let it slide!... LOL)
    "Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence." Line from RAMBO

I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by outlawal2 View Post
    Great summary JT.

For everyone else it is boring, bland, and American.

Hmmmmm.. as an AMERICAN I take exception to this statement... And must remind you that the Amiga was designed and built in America. IT IS American...

(And just so you don't read too much into it, I am just sayin'!... I am not really worked up about it, but couldn't COMPLETELY let it slide!... LOL)
    My condolences for you being American. We all have our crosses to bear.
    Has the Philippines become part of america because I'm fairly sure that's where a lot of them were manufactured.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

Poor Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    My condolences for you being American. We all have our crosses to bear.
    Has the Philippines become part of america because I'm fairly sure that's where a lot of them were manufactured.[/QUOTE]

Are baseless, petty insults the standard for this forum?

I was under the impression that this board was a world wide affair and that anyone was welcome. If I was wrong with this assumption, please let me know and I will look for a more suitable forum to frequent.

As for condolences, none are required or wanted. I am quite proud to be an American and since I have not insulted you or anyone on this board I would expect the same treatment back.

Shall we get back to Amiga based conversations and save your petty biases for a more suitable place?... (That being anywhere but here..)

As for the Phillipines, that is a bit ludicrous as nearly ALL goods are manufactured all over the world today and just because a Honda is built in Mexico it doesn't make it a Mexican car... EVERYONE looks to maximize their buying power and one of the ways to do that is by manufacturing where it is cheap to do so...
    "Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence." Line from RAMBO

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    No, insults aren't the norm here. At least not out of spite. Buleste was just pulling your leg a little, he wasn't being serious (hence the ). We do tend to poke some fun out of one another every now and then. But it's always in good humour. But please, do let people know if you think they cross the line. They should respect that.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Don't take it personally mate. It's just a bit of English sarcastic humour. Nothing is meant by it. Just us joking around.

I wouldn't agree about where something is manufactured not being important. The some product manufactured in different countries can have very different reliability rates. Take for example the Amiga. Ones make in Scotland or Germany were renowned for being more reliable than those made in the Philippines.

And taking a more recent example. Blank DVD-R. Verbatim discs made in Japan or Singapore are 100 times higher quality than the same discs made in India.

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Same here. It removes people's ability to interact in social situations. Instead sitting there playing with their latest "App", and rather than talking to the person sat next to them they have to communicate via the iPhone.
    I thought text messages and what not did that years ago?

There have been plenty of times I have seen groups of people all messing with mobile telephones.

Another recent example is facebook. All the part time students at college last year always had facebook open on computer screens and were using it to communicate with each other (and presumably their other 300 friends).