Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Steve, you need to have a play around with Win 7 the next time you are in a shop, then you will see what I mean. The functionality of the older task bar is still there, but it has now been made much more streamlined and smoother to use. Definitely prefer it.
    I don't tend to go to computer shops. I suppose I could pop in to PC World next week and have a look.

Apple never copied anyone else's ideas now did they?
    Seems to me like everyone is just copying off each other. That includes MS copying Apple, and Apple copying MS .

*sits down and prepares to watch the ClassicAmiga Mac vs PC war v2.0 *

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ah! But go back that little bit further and it all began with a little known company at the time called Apple visiting a big innovative company called Xerox, having a go on their very revolutionary new WIMP based OS, then going away and launching their new Mac OS a bit later that looked nearly identical.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Average Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's no secret that Apple ripped off Xerox, or that MS borrowed some of Apple's GUI ideas. Did these giants ever borrow any Amiga GUI concepts?

One thing is for sure: OS X and Windows are converging in terms of user experience and functionality. Which is fine: I'm seriously considering ditching my iMac for a PC laptop. I'm sick of having an obsolete OS that can't even run a modern browser (Safari 2, 3 or 4 for example). I need to upgrade to Tiger or Leopard, but Apple resellers/retailers only sell OS X 10.6, and that is only for Intel Macs. Retail versions of OS X seem to be very rare and highly sought after on eBay (and therefore expensive).

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm sure the Amiga UI was heavily influenced by Apple's at the time. They also did a lot of things in a very similar way. Look at how icons appear on the desktop when a floppy disk of CD is inserted. This works in very much an identical way on both systems. And actually, when I moved to using PCs this was one part that did really annoy me. I wanted Windows to work like Workbench/Mac OS in this regard, instead of the My Computer window to access devices.

However after some use you get used to it, and it has its own logic, keeping devices all separate and in one location. And since haven't minded either method.

It is true that OSX and Windows are converging in ideas and UI, but then this is going to happen eventually with any products developed in parallel as technologies progress and ways of working logically slowly converge. Will we ever end up with just one single OS all systems are running on? Not any time soon I hope because competition breeds progression, development and innovation. Also server OS's can't be the same as desktop OSs.

Above Average Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    You are honestly saying file management using Finder is good?
    Yes, it is. Saying that it is more intuitive than windows explorer is an understatement

And software integration is high because most of the only software available on the Mac is made by Apple themselves. You expect integration to be high when made by the same company as the OS.
    Like the day you said that people had to pay a fortune to change the small keyboard for the one with the numeric pad, you are mistaking. Software integration is present in all softwares for mac OS, including third-party browsers like firefox or fps client like transmit,... Doesn't it make sense that when you design a soft for a specific OS, you want to create a symbiosis between both? Except when it's the OS that exclude it.

The Mac also still uses a file structure which no other computer can open or use. Not good in a world where people like to share files.
    Hum hum, you mean that windows can't use, right?! because my Gentoo netbook has pretty much the same file system. I'm sure you don't wanna start to talk about exclusive and propietary systems when you try to demonstrate some (fictive) opening of windows.

But, at the end of the day it comes down to one thing. If you own and use a Mac and prefer it, the software it has does what you wish and you find it easier/nicer to use, and you don't need anything that Mac OS doesn't offer, then fair enough. Use it.
    Thanks for your approuval...

All I'm trying to say is that in the wider world, if you are a gaming, like emulation and also like the widest choice of software than the PC is really the old option. The Mac restricts these things too much for me ever to consider it as a direct alternative to the PC. Except Intel Macs are PCs, so everyone is in fact now using PCs anyway... case closed.
    Yeah, case-close it, like everytime someone doesn't have the same opinion as you, that it concerns movies (Children of Men,...), Games (Diablo,...) or even OSs. maybe that ClassicAmiga should be renamed "Harrison's world".

I'm sorry but seriously, sometimes i'm afraid to give an opinion that isn't the same as you, harrison. This was the last time i was coming here, this isn't a forum anymore (and seeing how many emails i received from other readers, i'm not the only one to think this way).

Poor Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by my_lo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    You are honestly saying file management using Finder is good?
    Yes, it is. Saying that it is more intuitive than windows explorer is an understatement

And software integration is high because most of the only software available on the Mac is made by Apple themselves. You expect integration to be high when made by the same company as the OS.
    Like the day you said that people had to pay a fortune to change the small keyboard for the one with the numeric pad, you are mistaking. Software integration is present in all softwares for mac OS, including third-party browsers like firefox or fps client like transmit,... Doesn't it make sense that when you design a soft for a specific OS, you want to create a symbiosis between both? Except when it's the OS that exclude it.

The Mac also still uses a file structure which no other computer can open or use. Not good in a world where people like to share files.
    Hum hum, you mean that windows can't use, right?! because my Gentoo netbook has pretty much the same file system. I'm sure you don't wanna start to talk about exclusive and propietary systems when you try to demonstrate some (fictive) opening of windows.

But, at the end of the day it comes down to one thing. If you own and use a Mac and prefer it, the software it has does what you wish and you find it easier/nicer to use, and you don't need anything that Mac OS doesn't offer, then fair enough. Use it.
    Thanks for your approuval...

All I'm trying to say is that in the wider world, if you are a gaming, like emulation and also like the widest choice of software than the PC is really the old option. The Mac restricts these things too much for me ever to consider it as a direct alternative to the PC. Except Intel Macs are PCs, so everyone is in fact now using PCs anyway... case closed.
    Yeah, case-close it, like everytime someone doesn't have the same opinion as you, that it concerns movies (Children of Men,...), Games (Diablo,...) or even OSs. maybe that ClassicAmiga should be renamed "Harrison's world".

I'm sorry but seriously, sometimes i'm afraid to give an opinion that isn't the same as you, harrison. This was the last time i was coming here, this isn't a forum anymore (and seeing how many emails i received from other readers, i'm not the only one to think this way).
    Hmmmm... It is always interesting when people bash others because they have different opinions... You bash Harrison because he has strong opinions and yet due to your own strong opinion you are offended by his... (WTF?)

NEWSFLASH: Exchanging opinions is what forums are for... If you want a 100% re-inforcement of your MAC opinions go join a MAC forum... If you want to express your views and possibly receive some different and varying views... Post right here!

My own personal views regarding MAC OS is that it is a great OS and really the only alternative to Windows for mainstream users... (I know Linux is getting better, but still a bit too finicky for the masses... Getting there though) Back to Macs, the OS is gorgeous and it just WORKS... There are a few minor annoyances but that is true about anything worthwhile in life... ALL of the options have their own inherent issues and it is up to us to decide what the priorities are for US...

Back to the original post, Leopard is available for PPC's but it doesn't always install properly on older machines. (Absolutely no rhyme or rhythm either as I have successfully loaded it to a 450MHZ Mac cube and yet a 450 Powermac had issues. I have also installed it on my G5 Powermac and I have had no issues, but I have heard others that have had lockup issues. Go figure)

IMHO there is little in Leopard that makes it stand out from Tiger.. Tiger is mature, works very well, looks good and is stable... For the performance differences I would recommend Tiger and stay away from Leopard unless you have new bleeding edge equipment. (And if it is THAT new, go with Snow Leopard as it will prepare you for future OS and programming enhancements not yet released.)

BRING THE OPINIONS ON!
    "Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence." Line from RAMBO

I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Leopards have spots and most people don't like windows when they have spots.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

And well put outlawal2

ELITE Staff Moderator
    My location

Snake Champion, Invasion Champion Puni/Void's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Buleste View Post
    Leopards have spots and most people don't like windows when they have spots.
    Classicamiga.com Moderator/Demoscene Admin
    Member of the Amiga demo group Void
    Admin of Old School Game Blog

Average Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the tip on Leopard Outlawal2. I have a 1.6GHz Rev A G5 iMac with 512MB RAM, so I think it might struggle with Leopard!

So a final plea: if anyone sees a retail (black box and discs) version of Tiger for less than £50, please let me know!