Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Freeview retune

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I wouldn't pay a subscription for TV.

My Mum says that the only reason she pays for a colour TV license is because I watch it, but even then, I could manage fine without it. In fact, if my Mum didn't pay it, I probably wouldn't bother.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I subscribe to Sky still and wouldn't like to be without it as freeview offers hardly any worthhile extra channels over the original terrestrial 5. About the only useful ones are Sky News, BBC News, Dave (for the Top Gear repeats) and maybe sometimes BBC3 and E4. Oh and 5 now they have switched off their terrestrial broadcasting. Can't be doing wit missing Neighbours!

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Average Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Harrison, you forgot to mention BBC4, undoubtedly the best digital channel. In the last couple of months it has shown a documentary on Hunter S. Thompson, shed-loads of Beatles stuff, Jonathan Meades' surreal travelogues, everything Charlie Brooker (Screenwipe, Newswipe, Gameswipe), that retro family thing with an emphasis on technology, where a family have to live through the 70s, 80s and 90s, and on Thursday the programme I'm really looking forward to: Micro Men.

BBC4 alone is worth the licence fee.

Teho - does Norway have any free/state TV channels? Are they any good?

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I must admit I've never really bothered watching BBC4. It's normally showing the "programs will resume at 6am" screen when I look at it.

I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    I must admit I've never really bothered watching BBC4. It's normally showing the "programs will resume at 6am" screen when I look at it.
    Strange, I'm sure it doesn't start till 7PM. I will be downloading Micro Men from iPlayer as the actor playing Sir Clive Sinclair does look suitably ridiculous.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I did actually want to see that program. Might set Sky+ to record it.

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Cortona View Post
    Harrison, you forgot to mention BBC4, undoubtedly the best digital channel. In the last couple of months it has shown a documentary on Hunter S. Thompson, shed-loads of Beatles stuff, Jonathan Meades' surreal travelogues, everything Charlie Brooker (Screenwipe, Newswipe, Gameswipe), that retro family thing with an emphasis on technology, where a family have to live through the 70s, 80s and 90s, and on Thursday the programme I'm really looking forward to: Micro Men.

BBC4 alone is worth the licence fee.

Yep, BBC4 does have some good stuff on (lot of toss also, though, but that's telly).

Our tellies (iDTV - no one ever uses that term any more do they) are always nagging us to retune them, feels like every damn week

Even if it is as simple as pressing OK twice when prompted, it still bugs me as I then have to wait a few moments before I can switch to cable.

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Cortona
    Yes, NRK (Norsk RiksKringkasting - Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation) is the state-run network. It isn't free, there's a license that has to be paid by anyone capable of receiving. And until recently you were deemed capable by simply owning a TV set, as all you needed was an arial antenna. So basically every household in the country has been having to pay it. But the arial network was shut down earlier this year, so now people like me who have no other means of receiving can in fact get out of having to pay the license.

It runs four TV channels and 17 radio channels. Any good? Well, depends on who you ask. They are very good at news and weather, political debates, that sort of thing. They have gotten fairly good at entertainment over the last ten or so years but they're still considered boring channels by most if all you want is to be entertained.

One thing of note is that they are at the forefront in the world at adopting new technologies and promoting them. They have for instance embraced Bittorrent and run their own tracker (and where the first broadcasting company in the world to do so) where many of their programs can be downloaded in hi-def. They have had several open-source projects, and a lot of their material (such as their ton of pictures on flickr) can be used by anyone for non-commercial purposes. In fact they encourage it. This whole technology side has it's own webpages and blog called NRKbeta, where several articles are in english due to high international interest in what's going on there. It's all very cool in my opinion, and interesting to follow. (That link is straight to the english introductory page)

Poor Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Teho View Post
    Probably. Would you believe it if I told you I cancelled my satellite subscription and haven't received any TV signals at all here for over three years now? Not joking. I realised I hardly watched anything at all and it was just throwing money out the window. So got rid of it all. And don't even miss it. Well, not much.

I can better that toho not had tv here for 6 years.
    Solutions the cause of all known problems!