Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Bargain replacement fog lights!

I just managed to get a bargain on evilbay. A pair of front replacement fog lights for my Peugeot 406 for £20!

The reason I needed replacements for both is a bit of a mystery. I've owned the car since it was 2 years old. It is now 11 years old and still going strong. And in all that time the front fog lights have been perfect. However within the last couple of months I suddenly noticed one of them was cracked right across the middle. It still works fine but the whole of the glass is cracked right through so water will probably get in eventually, and the glass could fall out if a heavy jolt happens whilst driving. Then about a month ago I was cleaning the car and noticed the other fog light is now cracked in much the same way. It's also still complete and working but with a crack running right across the glass and some additional cracks running down into the corners. This one looks like a big stone thrown up from a lorry could have done it as I can see what looks like an impact chip. But what was the likelihood of driving the car for 9 years and suddenly both front fog lights breaking within months of each other? Very odd.

Now I just need to work out how to actually remove the broken ones and replace them. I've got the Haynes manual but they are never that easy to follow. Although I've never bothered following a manual before when replacing rear lights or headlights in cars before now, so how hard can it be?

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    There's only some bulbs/lights you shouldn't touch with your bare fingers.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Very true. Xenon headlight bulbs especially. They reckon it can reduce the life of the bulb to just a few months if you touch them.

I'm sure removing the actual light units will be quite straight forward. It is just working out how to remove the protective floor that sits under the front bumper/skirting on the car to get to the actual units that might be a bit head scratching.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Poor Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Replacing rear bulbs on my old punto used to be a right nightmare you needed about twelve pairs of hands, a special little plastic socket thing and an insane amount of patience. But the best design feature was a whole just bellow where the bolt is, so if you didnt have hold of it when unscrewing if would fall into a void space in the bodywork with no way of retreiving it!.
    Solutions the cause of all known problems!