Average Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads

File transfer from A1200 to USB

Can anyone suggest a dongle that will enable me to transfer files from my A1200's PCMCIA to my Mac via its USB? For example, is there a USB multi-card reader that accepts PCMCIA cards?

I've seen PCMCIA cards that host up to four USB ports. Is it easiest to plug a memory stick into that and then plug that into the A1200? Will there be drive/device recognition issues?

(I should point out that the A1200 has a harddisk and I also have CrossDos running, but of course there's no floppy drive on the Mac.)

Cheers,
    Dan

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The easiest way is to get a PCMCIA to CF card adapter. You can then plug this into the Amiga and use the CF card like a harddrive. Then remove it and connect it to your Mac using a memory card ready that supports CF cards. Fairly simple solution.

You do need Amiga software to do this. I've not tried it myself so hopefully someone else can recommend software for you, or have a look on aminet.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Average Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks. Yes, I read a few old posts about the EasyADF card, and it would be a viable solution if I had the Amiga software required. It may be on the web but my Amiga isn't.

However, a stroke of luck - I noticed that my wife's ancient laptop has a PCMCIA slot. It's also got a USB (1.1) port, so in theory I could go Amiga PCMCIA to laptop PCMCIA to USB dongle to iMac. A trifle convoluted, but assuming the Amiga and Win 98(!) can read/write the same PCMCIA card without any formatting problems, it should work.

Would be nice to do it without the laptop though.