Thread: Big HDDs

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads

Big HDDs

Word, gang. Bit gamer are soon to be having a free leech week from the 24th sept, so I need a bigger hard drive to install before then as my ones are close to bursting and need sorting.

I'm after a decent HDD but it'll be for media so doesn't need to be blazingly fast.

I'd like a 1 TB, if not more.

Cheap as possible.

But not shit.

Anyone seen any good deals about recently and care to share?

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Recently I bought two 1TB external HDDs. One of them is the LaCie with design by Neil Poulton, cost 85€:

And the second one is a Verbatim, which cost 100€, about 3 month ago:

They both work, in the Verbatim I have a Samsung disk, and in the LaCie there's a Hitachi disk. Don't ask me why I bought these brands, only thing I can say is that I really needed them fast, and so I bought them here in local shops, where they only had these, and no other brands. Only thing that I noticed with the Verbatim disk, is that when it's on and I rebbot the PC, the PC freezes and doesn't boot up, which is annoying, but I don't reboot my PC very often, and the combination, rebooting PC plus disk switched on is rather unpresent.

But I guess for 80€ you will get a HDD of any brand, so perhaps you wait for Harrison and his destroying reviews of some hard disk brands

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ooops, I should have said that i'm after an internal HDD, really.

Although..... an external could be tempting....

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by J T View Post
    Ooops, I should have said that i'm after an internal HDD, really.

Although..... an external could be tempting....
    Ooops too

I think that the Samsung Spinpoint (F1) disks are really good and cheap, but I guess any brand is ok, and also not that expensive anymore. But like I mentioned before, I'm pretty sure that Harrison will tell you to avoid the one or other brand.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Lacie external HDD's are very good. You sometimes pay a bit more for them, but the case designs are always clean and simple and fit into most environments, and the cases are well build. They normally use Seagate or Samsung drives too which is good.

As for internal drives. Try to go for Samsung or Seagate. Both good makes.

On Ebuyer.com they currently have a 1TB F1 Ecogreen SATAII HDD for £53.80 which is quite a bargain.

Or for more you can get a 1.5TB Seagate SATA drive, which is a faster 7200rpm one for £85.48.

1.5TB drives have just dropped to below £90 due to the new 2TB HDD's now available. However 2TB drives are not worth buying as they are currently overpriced at £160+. You could by 2x 1.5TB drives for the same and then have 3TB, or 3x 1TB for even less.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Aren't the Ecogreen ones called F2? But they only run at 5.400rpm, but of course they're a bit cheaper.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    There is a new F2 range which is meant to be 7200rpm but still manage to be more energy efficient that other drives, so is still in the ecogreen range. In the reviews I've read they are not quite as fast as other 7200rpm drives, but there isn't much in it, so more people wouldn't notice the difference. And they still have the 5 year warranty!

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

The Darth Popsicle! VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The Western Digital Caviar Green internal drives have been tested to be really silent, fast and efficient. Just a suggestion. They come in 1TB, 1.5TB and 2TB flavours.

Mostly Harmless Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    Lacie external HDD's are very good.
    I second that. I have a 5 year old external 50Gb 2.5" and still works as new. Main drive in the office for 3 years and now as a transfer disc, has rock solid performance.

I've got all my SATA disks Samsung brand for about 4-5 years and never had a problem with them. I'm currently in my 5th unit.