Thread: V

I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads

V

Apparently they are remaking the 80's classic V.

So in honour of this I recently bought the DVD's for V: The Mini Series, V: The Final Battle and V: The Complete Series. V and V: The final Battle are the classics that I remember and are great to watch again.

However I never knew that they did a series of V as it was never shown in the UK. Having watched the DVD's I can only say thank god!!!

It stars all the same people from the two mini series however the scripts and production quality go down the pan. You start off by fining out that the red dust that drove the visitors off earth requires a dormant stage to survive and it can only go into this dormant stage when the weather goes below 0 degrees C. There goes the tourist industry in the Med.... Then Elizabeth the half human/Visitor child goes into a cocoon and emerges a teenage blonde woman (I see the interference of studio execs in this one). Because Diana (the head visitor) is doing so badly at stopping the resistance she first gains a rival (a blonde British actress with all the acting ability of an oak tree) and then a new visitor replaces Diana as leader, called Charles (you can see where this is going can't you) who Diana then plots against. Halfway through the season various regular cast members are either killed off or leave like rats on a sinking ship due to the terrible plots. Diana kills off Charles on their wedding night. The guy who played Khan's second in command turns up as an elite Visitor warrior who keeps getting beaten (a bit like Saddam's Elite Republican Guard in the first Gulf War he keeps getting downgraded). Elisabeth starts getting various ESP abilities and towards the end of the series you start feeling brain cells committing suicide and you start losing the will to live. And then you find out that at the time it was the most expensive sci-fi series made at the time(just before TNG) and cost $1million per episode and you realise that the cast must have been paid shit loads as they spent nothing on the production.

Highlights: seeing Robert Englund dressed in a mouse costume.
    Lowlights: realising you paid money for this crap.

Hopefully the reimagining will fare better.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I loved the original V. Are you sure the series wasn't shown in the UK? I remember watching it every week at the time, or was that just the two mini series? It seemed to last for a lot of weeks.

It has however dated badly. I saw an episode on Sky (don't remember the channel) recently, and I couldn't believe how bad some of the effects looked.

A remake is an interesting idea, but I'm not sure they can do it justice unless it has a big budget to bring the effects and sets fully up to date. And I don't see that quite happening. It could go wrong like the recent Knight Rider remake.

Personally I'm waiting for Stargate Universe. That looks like a good new series from the trailers. Dark, Event Horizon like in terms of visuals, and a completely new concept for the Stargate universe.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Poor Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Nooooooooooooooo!
    Stop raping our memories and be original for gods sake!!!!!!

Like anyone an replace the ass of JANE BADLER!

AMIGA - Some people will never "get" it........

I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    I loved the original V. Are you sure the series wasn't shown in the UK? I remember watching it every week at the time, or was that just the two mini series? It seemed to last for a lot of weeks.
    I thought the same as you however the original two mini series were shot as 1 feature length (2hours) episodes for the first one and 3 for the second bit I think were shown by ITV as either half hour or hourly shows thus breaking them up into several weeks.

Back t o the remake. Screw Jane Badler, Morena Baccarin is set to play the Diana role. She can eat my mammal flesh any day of the week.

Besides Jane Badler is Australian and has a skin problem.

Go here for a look.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD