Harmless Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

a few questions ?

sorry for the nobbish questions lol i have just brought an Amiga 500 which has 1MB ram, Kickstart 1.3 & Kickstart 2.04 which can be changed between the two buy using a switch on the side of my A500. i do not have any Workbench disks, however i am wondering how do i boot into Workbench without the disks ? if i need to buy the disks which version(s) do i need ? also how do i put .adf files onto floppys so that i can play them on my Amiga ?

thanks in advance.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Because you have a kickstart rom switcher you can run Workbench 1.3 or Workbench 2 and Workbench 2.1. You do need a copy of Workbench on floppy disk to load it. There is no other way.

Sometimes copies of Workbench are sold on Ebay and other sites, so keep an eye out.

To convert adf's back to real Amiga floppy disks there are a number of methods. The easiest is a commercial program by Cloanto called Amiga Explorer. You can connect the Amiga to the PC using a Null Modem cable (connects to the serial ports on each machine) and you can access the Amiga from the PC program and easily convert ADFs from the PC directly to the Amiga's floppy drive.

Alternatively you can also use a number of different free ADF to Disk programs, but you need to get the ADF onto the Amiga first, which is hard without a HD in the Amiga, or less than 2MB of ram.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Harmless Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    well i have brought floppys for both kickstarts/workbenches that im using & also a null modem cable. is there a guide anywhere which shows how to use Amiga Explorer as i really have no idea ?

thanks in advance.