ELITE Staff Moderator
    My location

Snake Champion, Invasion Champion Puni/Void's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

WTB: Accelerator for my Amiga 1200

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to buy a new accelerator for my Amiga 1200. What I had in mind was either a 68030 or 68060 one. I'll consider a memory card with 8MB as well.

Looking forward to hear from you.

I'm located in Norway and will happily pay via PayPal, but I'm open to other solutions as well.

Thanks in advance for your interest.

See my WTB advert at Amibay: WTB - Accelerator for my Amiga 1200

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Good luck with finding one.

Ideally a Blizzard 1230 MK4 or 1260 are the two cards to try and get as they are the best you can buy for the A1200.

My Blizzard 1230 MK4 with 32MB of fast ram and FPU really transformed my A1200 and is the perfect upgrade for the A1200, turning it from an underpowered, memory limited system, into one that is just right. For me I don't need anything more powerful.

Do try to avoid any GVP accelerators as I've heard they are not very good and the ram is very hard to find. Viper's are pretty good and only just behind Blizzard cards. Build quality isn't quite as good, but performance is about level.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

ELITE Staff Moderator
    My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    Good luck with finding one.

Ideally a Blizzard 1230 MK4 or 1260 are the two cards to try and get as they are the best you can buy for the A1200.

My Blizzard 1230 MK4 with 32MB of fast ram and FPU really transformed my A1200 and is the perfect upgrade for the A1200, turning it from an underpowered, memory limited system, into one that is just right. For me I don't need anything more powerful.

Do try to avoid any GVP accelerators as I've heard they are not very good and the ram is very hard to find. Viper's are pretty good and only just behind Blizzard cards. Build quality isn't quite as good, but performance is about level.
    Thanks mate. I do hope to get hold of a card in the near future. I did the mistake of selling my old accelerator, as I planned to buy some modern Amiga hardware. The reason was that I wanted to go OS 4.1. Sadly it proved to be too expensive for me.

Anyway, have now forked up cash for an Indivision AGA, a 2.5 40GB HD (my old one is on its last legs.. it's making those weird mechanical noises. Error requesters does also pop up.) and a new mouse adapter. The items has been shipped, so they should be here in the end of this week or the beginning of the next.

I agree with you about the Blizzard cards. They're excellent - both stable and with good performance. Not easy to find though, but that could be said about accelerators in general I guess.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Amigakit currently have an E-Matrix 1230/40MHz with 32MB Ram, but they want £159.99, which I think is way over priced. Nowhere near as good as a Blizzard 1230 and in my view worth less than £100, especially as it doens't even come with a FPU.

But regarding FPUs. If you do get an accelerator and it doesn't have one then contact Amigamaniac (Nathan) as he is good as sourcing them at good prices.

ELITE Staff Moderator
    My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    Amigakit currently have an E-Matrix 1230/40MHz with 32MB Ram, but they want £159.99, which I think is way over priced. Nowhere near as good as a Blizzard 1230 and in my view worth less than £100, especially as it doens't even come with a FPU.

But regarding FPUs. If you do get an accelerator and it doesn't have one then contact Amigamaniac (Nathan) as he is good as sourcing them at good prices.
    I noticed that particular item at Amigakit, but like you, I found the price a bit too high. If it was cheaper, I would be more iclined to buy it.

Thanks for the tip about Amigamaniac. I'll keep that in mind.

Do you have any spare cards left, Harrison?

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I only have a 4MB fast ram card with RTC, and I think an FPU socket. But that is the only card I've got spare for an A1200.

ELITE Staff Moderator
    My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've now purchased a nice Apollo 1230 card with both plenty of RAM and an FPU. Got it through Amibay.