Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

The Ultimate AV switch

We all get to a point where we have too many devices that we wish to connect to our TVs or computer monitors. It is a hassle having to get to the ports on the back of the display to swap them over every time we want to run something different.

The solution in the past was to buy a SCART switcher box that could then have a few different devices connected and switched between via button or remote.

Most recently with high definition things have become more complex. We can now own devices that have many different output types. Composite, S-Video, Scart, Component, HDMI and VGA, plus some of these can output at different resolutions of 480, 576, 720 or 1080 in both progressive and interlaced. So a lot of different outputs to contend with.

How can we manage all of these? The perfect solution would be a switcher box that they could all be connected to at the same time and seemlessly switched between to view and hear. And here is that very unit...

The Multi Video Format Matrix Routing Switcher, SB-3977

And it seems to support nearly everything. Just take a look at the specs on that page. Plus it has built in detection of all three TV video systems (NTSC, PAL and SECAM).

One one snag. It costs $2310 USD. Hmm...

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    They also do a cheaper $999 one that doesn't have HDMI or some of the more advanced features, but it is still pretty good.

The only thing with these units being US is that their is no SCART support, but you could use a SCART converter cable for such devices to switch to RGB component or S-Video, so that isn't a huge issue.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I still have my Auvisio which has 4 ethernet, optical, SCART and HDMI inputs (and 1 output of course for everything). Really great piece of hardware, would buy another one any time. But the SB-3977 looks very nice.