Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Celestia

Has anyone used this free application?

Celestia is a Planetarium like software on a universe sized scale. You can explore planets, solar systems and whole constilations and nebela seemlessly.

http://www.shatters.net/celestia/

The official download links for the latest version 1.6 appear to be down from sourceforge.net at the moment, but luckily some others are hosting temporary mirror download sites to file the gap.

http://full2down.com/softwares/2612-celestia-160.html

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Poor Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Cool, gonna check it out..........
    AMIGA - Some people will never "get" it........

It's always caturday! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    Has anyone used this free application?
    Yup, with Stellarium and Google Earth those are my 3 favorite astronomy proggies.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Have you managed to get Celestia to work with Vista? I'm running it using XP Pro at the moment because it refuses to run on Vista. It just throws up the following strange error.

"The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the Application event log for more detail."

Any ideas?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Of course, been using it on Vista x64 before and now on W7 x64 without any problems.
    Well it did have some problems with graphic glitches but that was fixed in some update by nvidia.

Maybe you should run it as admin? (I've got all the UAC turned off completely)

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The first thing I always turn off in Vista is UAC. I hate it. So that isn't an issue.

I've tried running it as admin, but that doesn't change the error. I also tried running it in compatibility mode as XP SP2 and Win2000 and those didn't do anything either.

I'm wondering if it doesn't like my ATI Radeon 4870 graphics card?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, having in mind that it had problems with the nvidia drivers in the past, this might also a problem with lousy ATI driver programming, so maybe report the bug on ATI forums?

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Good idea. I will do that. I'm surprised no one on the official forums for the software have posted any similar problems though.

I'm also wondering if the side-by-side error can be fixed by editing the config file, but I'm not sure where to start with that.

Average Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I used to love this when I had a PC, it was fantastic. When I switched I didn't think it was available for OS X but I see now that it is. (I have a similar but far inferior free program called Starry Night Backyard.)

I'll have to download Celestia and see if I can get it running on my ancient and hopelessly obsolete Mac.

For those who dare! ClassicWB dev
    VIP
    Forum Mod
    Chopper Challenge Champion, The Collector Champion, BombJack Arcade Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Paintballing - Assault Champion, Tower 13 - Adventures In Body Saving Champion, Himalayaya Champion, Sea Dogs Champion, Yeti Sports 1- Long Shot Version Champion, Operation Switchover Champion Bloodwych's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    As Shoonay mentioned, if you are just after something to allow you to identify all those wondrous stars and planets on a clear night, Stellarium is what you're after.

Very lightweight and simple to use, you can literally load it up and be identifying the night sky like a pro in seconds:

http://www.stellarium.org/

Jupiter is very bright in the south at the moment. I can see it out of my window.

Celestia is good, but more than I require most of the time.
    Live Long and Procrastinate
    A500 Batman Pack
    Classic Workbench