Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Dangerous Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm amazed
    Your obviously a Font of all knowledge (sorry about the bad pun)
    Either way, I don't like ClearType at all
    I've run the tuner and it's a big improvement now that I've got it set right, but would prefer it not to be forced upon me.

Average Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    However with OSX Apple did start to realise that onscreen font readability is quite important. However their implementation of font smoothing is mostly based on the old anti aliasing techniques with creates blured and heavier looking fonts, that are not visually nice.

After Vista was released Apple did try to copy the ClearType ideas and introduced their own version pf sub pixel rendering in OSX, but it is far inferior and generally makes fonts look blurred and heavy on the screen.
    Someone had to mention how god-awful OS X anti-aliasing is! And it is, but I'm still not going back to Windows (except, perhaps for emulation/gaming purposes).

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Last time I had an OSX system, I completely switched anti-aliasing off. Made it much better.

I still think most anti-aliasing looks bad.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    @ Cortona

What made you switch to the Mac?

For me the platform offers no benefits over PCs, and a huge limitation of much less software in OSX. Are you still using a PPC Mac or newer Intel Mac?

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Average Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm on a PPC G5 iMac. I felt like a change from Windows. I use XP Pro every day and every day something about it frustrates or annoys me. Lack of space was another reason to get an iMac - no big beige box sitting under the desk (this was back in '04). And OS X does provide a good user experience, although of course it still has its niggling problems. Also, I don't need a yearly subscription to Anti-virus software.

I do miss the PC games I played (and up-to-date emulation software!), but now I have a family I rarely have any time to play them anyway. When I eventually upgrade, I'll get an iMac with Boot Camp and Win XP so I can have a dual boot system, the best of both worlds.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Debatable from my point of view as to it being the best of both worlds. I hate the premium Apple charge for their hardware, and additional upgrades such as ram. Especially when they are all now pretty standard (and most of the time middle range) PC parts. I just couldn't justify spending over £1000 for a system that is identical to a PC I could build for under £400.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Average Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    I hate the premium Apple charge for their hardware...
    That reminds me of when I bought a phono plug adapter so I could plug my guitar into the iMac. Apple sold one for at least £10 (probably encased in masses of white plastic) and Maplin sold one for 99p. I got it from Maplin. I had a similar experience when buying an AV lead.

MacBooks are now cheaper than iMacs, which seems a bit strange.

Anyway, for me it's all about the user interface: I prefer using OS X to Windows. It's also got some nice touches. For example, right out of the box I can yell across the room, "Get my mail!" and OS X launches Mail and retrieves my emails. No external microphone, no drivers to install, it's all built in.