Above Average Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads

WinUAE from a USB stick

I was wondering if it would be possible to run WinUAE from a USB memory stick... I mostly play a few games like Superfrog or Alien Breed, do you think they could run smoothly?
    I have a 16Gb stick, so the size shouldn't be an issue...

I have made 4 lists with my favourite 20 games for C64, Amiga, SNES and Arcade. I can already run MAME, snes9x and gamebase. I haven't tried WinUAE yet but that would be awesome, i could walk around with all my favourite games on a USB stick, ready to play
    The next step would be to find a nice little frontend for (snes9x, vice, winuae and mame) or even to create one myself...

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    WinUAE doesn't need to be installed so it will work from a USB memory stick just fine. Download the ZIP package rather than the EXE installer for the current release of WinUAE and extract it to the USB memory stick.

Then copy your kickstart rom files inside the WinUAE directory plus any ADFs you wish to run.

And that should be all you need to do. When you first run WinUAE point it to the kickstart roms from the paths menu, and run the detect roms feature. This should save their location in the WinUAE config file. However if you use the USB memory stick on another PC it might not find the kickstart rom location, so just run this again from the paths menu for it to update and find them again.

I can't see any reason why it would effect the performance of WinUAE either.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Would it work if i would do the whole installation of winuae + classicWB on my HD and simply copy the folder on the stick?
    Last edited by my_lo; 17th July 2009 at 10:28.

For those who dare! ClassicWB dev
    VIP
    Forum Mod
    Chopper Challenge Champion, The Collector Champion, BombJack Arcade Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Paintballing - Assault Champion, Tower 13 - Adventures In Body Saving Champion, Himalayaya Champion, Sea Dogs Champion, Yeti Sports 1- Long Shot Version Champion, Operation Switchover Champion Bloodwych's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes it will work - just make sure the paths to HDFs, ROMS, Hard Drive directories etc are all relative and not absolute.

I move my WinUAE folder around all the time - it works from anywhere.
    Live Long and Procrastinate
    A500 Batman Pack
    Classic Workbench

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    That's great! I'm gonna do it this week-end and next week, i'll walk around with my paddle in my backpack