Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: iMica

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That is true. It would be very hard to include direct support for every piece of hardware on the market. Maybe compatibility for Linux or Windows drivers would be a good inclusion. But only time will tell.

The good thing about a lot of hardware these days is how it is all quite standardised. Most graphics and sound cards have built in support for generic drivers, so even if you can get the most from a piece of hardware, at least it will work. And most USB devices are quite standard these days, showing up as external drives to access their contents.

Things like printers and scanners are obviously more specific to each make, but again general TWAIN level support for scanners, and generic print drivers for each make do work with most makes and models.

There are normally ways around the requirement for specific drivers being needed. But obviously these will never be able to give the user the full feature set of the hardware connected.

Regardless, AROS is a really interesting and cool project that I am following closely. I even have a spare PC sitting here that I might install AROS on.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Dangerous Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    The good thing about a lot of hardware these days is how it is all quite standardised. Most graphics and sound cards have built in support for generic drivers, so even if you can get the most from a piece of hardware, at least it will work.
    Graphics cards tend to adhere to the VESA standard, so using the VESA drivers is enough for basic graphics use. I've seen some insanely high resolutions with VESA drivers before.

ELITE Staff Moderator
    My location

Snake Champion, Invasion Champion Puni/Void's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Have now started to collect various bits and bobs for an iMica machine. It was very expensive to bring it over here from the UK in postage (not mentioning the customs). I therefore figured I could build one myself from various parts.

Managed to get hold of a decent Sound Blaster Live! card, along with some cheap memory. Now for the motherboard and the case.

Anyone else planning to build one?

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Is there a list of fully supported hardware for AROS? I have loads of old PC hardware, and even 3 fully built and working PCs that are currently not being used and stored in a walk in closet, so maybe I have the parts to piece together a perfect solution.

ELITE Staff Moderator
    My location

Snake Champion, Invasion Champion Puni/Void's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You can find information concerning supported hardware here. There's also a lot to read on the subject at the AROS Exec Forum as well.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the link.

Near the bottom of the page did you notice the entry for iMica? It seems that currently AROS isn't fully compatible! It is showing the the chipset and IDE work, but SATA is running in legacy mode, there are no graphics drivers so it runs in vesa mode, there is no audio support (hence the addition of an extra PCI soundblaster live sound card), USB doesn't work, and Ethernet works slowly. So maybe iMica isn't the ideal AROS solution?

Looking through the page, I have to say it is quite hard to navigate and find information. They have tried to create useful information groupsed into device type, but most of it is untested, and you have to then sift through the remaining information below these tables to actually discover what is compatible. Hopefully with more time this will improve. It does seem a shame that with the length of time in development they don't seem to have been able to test the OS on a very large variety of hardware.

The good news is that I have a spare PCI Soundblaster Live Gold! So hopefully that will work perfectly. Not usre on the chipset but I think it matches the Live 5.1 so fingers crossed it is the one they have listed as working, but if not I will see if it does work and add that information to their site.

I also have a spare Audigy 1 sound card, but it is showing currently as no driver support.

And graphics card wise I have a few spare AGP cards including a Radeon 9600, 9800 Pro and older nVIdia TNT and Matrox G400 Max, and the site says it supports up to Radeon 9800 so that is good.

Ethernet I'm not sure. I have the option of built in ethernet ports, plus I have some spare Linksys PCI NICs that might contain 3com chips so could work.

I noticed nForce 2 is mentioned as working and I do have 3 spare Athlon XP boards with nForce 2 chips, but none are currently in a built system so would require a case, ram etc...

Realtek seems to work and as most older boards I have use that for onboard audio that could be something.

USB support seems quite hit and miss, and this is something I think they really need to make work for all hardware port types as USB is now the standard, with most external devices using it to connect. So it might be interesting trying to get this working. I do have a spare USB2 PCI card though so if I find the motherboard USB ports won't work I can at least try that.

This is quite exciting. I will have to give this a try later in the week.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Just thought. If only certain hardware does prove to work, then anyone who can build a fully functioning system could have a system on their hands that suddenly increases in value on ebay!