Thread: iMica

ELITE Staff Moderator
    My location

Snake Champion, Invasion Champion Puni/Void's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

iMica

Have any of you checked out the iMica AROS-machine from ClusterUK? If not, then you can find more information via this link:

http://www.clusteruk.com/

There's an offer now where you can get it for £199. If you want to build it yourself, the parts that are used is listed on the site.

I like the way AROS is progressing these days.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That looks cool.

I'm not tried AROS for some time so might download the latest version tomorrow and have a play.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Dangerous Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That looks VERY nice, but saying that, I have lots of PC hardware lying around.
    Does anybody know what sound and graphics cards that AROS supports?
    I have a VIA EPIA mobo sitting around doing nothing .... this would be a great way of using that.

I also notice, by looking at the site, that the sound drivers are currently unavailable!
    To use this for anything other than browsing the net is currently not going to give the greatest experience ..... however, AROS is in 'early stages' of developement, so all these extra features will probably appear some time soon.

I have to admit, it's been some time since I've used AROS ..... when I last used it, there wasn't even an installer (you had to install it by hand)

Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Looks nice.

199 pounds is a lot.

but +/- 58 pounds or 90 dolars for the Mboard+CPU is a better number, the rest of the
    parts are easy to get, HD, som card, dvd... etc...

http://www.itx-warehouse.co.uk/Produ...?ProductID=912
    http://www.mini-box.com/Intel-D945GC...&category=1178

Any of you guys did the instalation of AROS for VMPlayer ?
    A500 - A600 - A1200

It's always caturday! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiago View Post
    Any of you guys did the instalation of AROS for VMPlayer ?
    Well, I got the preinstalled version and it worked just fine.
    Not that I played with it for long, there's not much to do anyways

ELITE Staff Moderator
    My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I know that AROS supports the Sound Blaster Live! card with EMU10k.

Have a look here for information on supported hardware:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Aros/Platforms/x86_support

If you plan to give AROS a new go, try the Icaros package. Great stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by woody.cool View Post
    That looks VERY nice, but saying that, I have lots of PC hardware lying around.
    Does anybody know what sound and graphics cards that AROS supports?
    I have a VIA EPIA mobo sitting around doing nothing .... this would be a great way of using that.

I also notice, by looking at the site, that the sound drivers are currently unavailable!
    To use this for anything other than browsing the net is currently not going to give the greatest experience ..... however, AROS is in 'early stages' of developement, so all these extra features will probably appear some time soon.

I have to admit, it's been some time since I've used AROS ..... when I last used it, there wasn't even an installer (you had to install it by hand)

I've never used AROS - the idea is that it is a replacement for WB3.1 but with improvements/bugfixes once it's complete? If it's just the OS then you could run it using UAE?

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It is a little more than that. The idea of AROS is to create a new native PC OS that you can install onto any PC hardware. It is heavily based on Workbench 3.1 and the developers are trying to make the project as compatible with existing Amiga software as possible, but that is only half the story, as they are hoping AROS will also be used as an OS in its own right by fans of Workbench.

A big difference between the original Workbenh 3.1 and AROS is that the project is also trying to make the OS compatible with current hardware, and to include support and the ability to use modern hardware. Something that isn't so easy when using Workbench 3.1 in WinUAE.

The AROS project has been going for over 10 years though, so it is a slow process, and at one point it was competely stalled with no development or progress happening for a very long time, but in the last couple of yers they have really accelerated development and got a lot of people on board working on the project, which is why it now is suddenly seeing so much interest, updates and ideas happening.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

ELITE Staff Moderator
    My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    For those interested, the latest issue of Amiga Future contains a big review of the iMica.

"trying to make the OS compatible with current hardware, and to include support and the ability to use modern hardware"?

How is that going to be sustainable? People at home are going to write their own drivers for the latest GeForce? And for scanners, soundcards, printers etc? For a project that relies on people contributing, I don't see this will work, especially if you have to buy specific hardware for a new machine and can't easily upgrade and still have eveything work. They would be much better doing something like a Linux derivative so that people can use things like drivers from that community.