Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Xp on your phone?

A Chinese company called In Technology Group (ITG) are claimed to have invented a new smartphone that is capable of running Windows XP.

Its spec is so far being reported as:

1GHz AMD CPU
    1GB ram
    4.8" TFT at 800x480 resolution
    Sliding QWERTY keyboard
    GPS
    WiFi
    Bluetooth
    and HDD up to 120GB.

Real or just fantasy concept?

If it is real then this would be capable of running a lot of older PC software and games, plus emulators like WinUAE!

Personally I can't see it happening. It would cost too much, and I can't see how they would fit the technology into a smartphone design of a similar size to the Nokia N97. Netbooks such as those from Asus are currently the smallest full PC system able to run XP, and they are much larger.

Will be interesting to see if it does happen though. A prototype of this device will apparently be on show at the Computex 2009 show.

Read more here:

http://www.gsmdome.com/technology/xp...indows-xp_6502

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Dangerous Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    Real or just fantasy concept?
    Fancy concept, if you ask me!

As far as I'm concerned, I use a phone to make calls and send text messages .... THAT'S IT!

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mobile phones have been moving away from being purely a mobile phone for some time now, and instead becoming portable multimedia devices. And it is true that some parts are getting too advanced for their own good, with a lot of the applications and features being more of a gimmick than useful. Look at the iPhone for a great example of a phone that is a complete gimmick. The majority of its "apps" are pointless gimmicks that all cost money to install.

Also the initial idea to try and allow people to access the whole internet and browse it just like a PC on your phone was a stupid idea in my view purely because most sites are not designed for such small screens, or for the navigation systems on them.

However using the 3G internet connection to pull specific data into a phone is quite useful for news and sports updates, and this doesn't require access and navigation of actual websites, but just the data retrieval from specific feeds into talor make applications on the phone. I have recently been using the RSS reader on my phone for this and it is very useful for up to date information. And when the internet access is used in this way, 3G mobile phones do suddenly become more useful.

GPS is also a quite useful addition to mobiles if you do a lot of walking, or if you play GeoCaching, as I do. And combining internet access to pull down information about local caches, along with the built in GPS for navigating to the caches is a brilliant combination.

Also now that digital camera technology has finally matured and quality for lower end digital cameras is good, integrated cameras into mobiles is now worthwhile. It also means you have a camera with you for shots you might have previously missed. Especially if you have children. Mobile phone video is currently however quite pointless. Too low quality to be really useful for playback on anything other than the mobile itself. However once that matures more it could be a useful addition for home movies.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Maybe I'm just stuck in my ways, call me 'old fashioned' if you must, but I just wnat a phone to be a phone, nothing else ... if I want to listen to music, I will use my MP3 player, if I want to go on the net, I have a Laptop, a Netbook and a PC. There's every chance that I can find somewhere with Wi-Fi access and use my netbook!!!
    I rarely go out 'just for a walk' .... if I do, it's because I want to be away from electronics and internet etc., in these instances, I'd probably even turn my mobile phone off!

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Maybe I'm just stuck in my ways, call me 'old fashioned' if you must, but I just wnat a phone to be a phone, nothing else ... if I want to listen to music, I will use my MP3 player, if I want to go on the net, I have a Laptop, a Netbook and a PC.
    I agree with that. Back when I was interested in getting a mobile phone (I got my first one in 2004), mobile phones with cameras where no where near as popular.

They really are putting too much stuff into mobile phones. The technology is still interesting though.

Downloads
    Uploads
    To top it off, mobie phones are way too small .... I have fat podgy fingures and can't operate phones with lots of small buttons.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    So it isn't the phones you dislike, it is your fat podgy fingers?

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Interestingly, I used my mobile (my new HTC Touch Cruise no less ) to browse among other things this very thread during my lunchbreak today. I often do that when I work alone. It's true that most pages that do not have dedicated mobile pages look terrible, but they do work.

I also use it for RSS feeds. I've been using RSS feeds for years and subscribe to a long list on my computer. What was cool was that I could just export that list to a file and import it to the HTC and get all the same feeds there with no more hassle. Pretty neat.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Did you look at this site on it using the full version, or the retro view, which is designed for mobile devices?

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I tried that, but as soon as I click a link it opens the page in the full version regardless.