Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Modems

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads

Modems

I still want to get an internet connection on my A500+, but am still not sure what I need to do about modems.

Would I be fine withjust a standard v90 serial modem or do i need an amiga specific one?

Cheers
    Steve

Deadly VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You don't need Amiga specific modems to connect to the internet, just the right software.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yep, the modem isn't really important, as long as you can find software to control it. You would therefore probably be better off with an external modem made around the mid 90's or earlier because it would be more likely that others used them with Amigas too.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    So just a modem and TCP/IP software then?

On my A1200 I just stuck my v34 PCMCIA modem into the PCMCIA slot and installed the TCP/IP stack (forgot what it was called) and it worked. For some reason though it didn;t work with my Force 9 dialup account. It did however work first time with Freeola.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That is good to know you managed to get a PCMCIA modem to work with the A1200. Especially when you consider that a PCMCIA modem was not a common hardware item back in the Amiga days. External Modems that connected to the serial port were the common type back then and would need specific drivers to work.

Is useful to know the PCMCIA modem worked in case others are looking for a similar solution. BTW, what make was the modem?

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    This is the modem:
    http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/5233/sta60022pk4.jpg

You can get 56k versions but I don;t have one so can't say whether it works.

I don;t know how old it is but I know that the one shown in the photograph existed in 1997.

It was dead easy to set up on the Amiga, as it is on a Macintosh (just stick it into the slot, go into the modem control panel, select themodem and select Generic PC Card Modem)

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I got a Supra Express v90 serial modem today. Can't test it yet though due to lack of a cable. I'll have to order one as I don't have one.

Had to go and collect it from someone in Worksop earlier. Got to play Deluxe Galaga on his A1200 Tower with Scandoubler as well while I was there.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My first modem was a Diamond Supra Express 56k v90. The later blue one. Great external modem. I never had any problems with it and it is still working and stored away in its box in case I need a modem in an emergency.

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think that will be the one I have as it is Diamond branded and is blue.

Do you know how old it is? It's just that some of the CDs that came with it are for AOL/CompuServe etc which mention Windows 95, but one of them is an AOL 100 hour free trial which has instructions for Windows XP.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I bought mine new in 1998 and I think it came out that year. An older non v90 version was out before this. I remember also getting free AOL/Compuserve discs with mine too. I expect the other XP on wasn't originally with it.