Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Modems

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Does anyone know where I might be able to find a serial cable to connect this to the Amiga? It needs a 9 pin male - 25 pin female cable and I can't find one anywhere.

BTW, I am assuming that AOL no longer send free 1x0 hour trial CDs any more?

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    You probably have a nullmodem cable lying around, right? Finding a converter for one end of that might be easier, 9-pin F to 9-pin M or something?

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Why does no one ever look on Maplin? Go to www.maplin.co.uk and look at the computer cable section. They have serial gender changers including a 9 to 25 pin changer, and 25 to 9 pin cables.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Deadly VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Have been to Maplins in the past, thought they were a bit pricey.

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    Why does no one ever look on Maplin? Go to www.maplin.co.uk and look at the computer cable section. They have serial gender changers including a 9 to 25 pin changer, and 25 to 9 pin cables.

I always tend to look at Maplin first as I have their catalogue and they do not have what I require.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Maplin do have what you need if you look but TiredOfLife is right, they are pricey. The null modem cable, plus the gender converter you would need would come to £15

But I just thought of another site I used to use a lot called http://www.cableuniverse.co.uk and they have some very good prices.

I just looked and they have a 9pin female to 25pin female cable for £5.77:
    http://www.cableuniverse.co.uk/catal...roducts_id=258

And you would need a gender changer for the 9pin end which costs only £0.95p:
    http://www.cableuniverse.co.uk/catal...products_id=42

So that is much cheaper at a combined price of £6.72p. Hope that helps.

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I already have a Null modem cable, so wouldn;t need to buy one. I use it for other things though as well.

I need to buy some 9 pin an 25 pin connectors anyway so I'll just make my own.

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am pleased to say that i finally made a cable, and got the moddem set up and working.

The TCP/IP stack I used is Miami.

I tested the internet connection using AmIRC. I will try and use AWEB, but I'm not sure if it is compatible with WB2.04.

IRC wasn't too slow. It took ages for text to appear after I typed it in, but it went straight into the channel window after pressing return, and other things were done nice a quickly.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, as quickly as a 56K modem can do things, which when compared to current connects is very slow. A theoretical Maximum 7KB/s (56Kbps) on a 56K modem compared to a theoretical Maximum of 1MB/s (8,192Kbps) via an 8Mbit Broadband Max connection, or an even higher 3MB/s (24,576Kbps) via ADSL2. These figures just show how out of date and dead dialup 56K modem connections now really are.

Have you tried connecting your Amiga's via ethernet to broadband yet Steve? Would make a big difference.

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Its pretty funny....our ISP hasnt sent us a bill in over a year...prob doesnt even realise we are still using it...
    Check out my blog - submeg.com/