Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Prototype

So what do you all think of this game?

I've been playing the PC version with an Xbox 360 controller and have been enjoying it. The combat system can get fairly complex as you gain new abilities, but it is fun to use. Not so sure about the selection wheel system to pick an ability to use. It's a bit fiddly, but I will probably get used to it as I play more (not checked the keyboard commands, so maybe there is an easier system via the keyboard?). And the ability to run up buildings, jump and glide never gets boring. As is the ability to pick things up, aim and throw them.

The story is also quite interesting. A typical genetic experimentation gone wrong plot similar to Resident Evil or any number of zombie films. And I liked the taster of your full abilities at the beginning, before it then throws you back 18 days earlier to see what happened.

The open ended New York environment is also great to explore with loads of well known landmarks and features to discover. And it also gives you the chance to experiment with the controls, and to try out each new ability as you upgrade them.

Finally the ability to take over the identity of someone by absorbing them. It instantly reminded me of Messiah, mixed with the enemy alert gauge from Metal Gear Solid. It works well and is great fun to use.

The scripted story is also well done, with good voice acting, and it remains interesting. The idea of absorbing key characters within the game world to obtain their memories and find out the truth is also a cool part of the game, and for some reason (not sure) it reminded me of Parasite Eve.

If there is one thing I would say I was disappointed with, it is the graphics. I have all graphics settings turned up to maximum. The lighting and shadows look good, but the character models and walk animations are very primitive, as are many of the building textures. Windows look flat and lifeless, characters faces look plastic and like those we saw in games a few years ago, and the many characters walking around the streets seem to all walk with a strange wide gate and limp, especially the women.

It is however quite impressive how many vehicles and pedestrians they have managed to get the game engine to handle at once, with whole streets full of people walking in different directions, at the same time as vehicles are passing.

The general AI isn't that convincing either though. When you do something violent those near by gasp and shout. Some run or change direction. But a few meters away the rest are acting normally just walking along. It doesn't give the right atmosphere to the game.

However, the game isn't really about this. It is about the speed you can move and fight, and for that they have got it spot on. I loved how even with a machine gun I was able to run up a building into the middle of a group of armed soldiers and take them all out without much effort. It felt great. And I think that is really the point of the game. You could most closely compare it to playing like a non linear open, modern day version of God of War.

I haven't yet reached the point in the game where I start to gain the different built in weapon abilities such as the big blades, or the smashing hammers. But based on the brief ability to use them at the very beginning of the game, I think one you do it will make the game even more fun.

If you like action games you will love this. If however you prefer slow moving adventures or more RPG gameplay then you might not. The main game environment is a bit like a more limited GTA with locations to trigger missions and events to try and achieve.

I would give it 7/10 purely because it is just all out action and fast violent, mixed with exploration of the city and some cut scenes. Great if you like this style of game, but I can imagine it won't take that long to complete it, and I don't see much replay value. But it is worth playing for the game mechanics, and all the abilities your character has, such as taking on other's identities, and the great abilities to run up buildings and jump long distances.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

It's always caturday! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like it, for a simple GTA clone it's great and finally has a proper interesting story.
    It reminds me about "I Am Legend" since it's located in New York, but the fact that you play as the "monster" makes it very different.
    I enjoyed Mirror's Edge, what a great game, but so short... the levels were pretty straight-forward and pretty long, but there was so few of them... now I can run freely on a huge area.
    The gliding events are a masterpiece, after finishing all Spyro The Dragon games back on me good old PSX I felt empty as no game that I knew about could offer that...
    I finished it yesterday after almost 20 hours of enjoying my mutant abilities, lovely game
    But of course I didn't complete all events so the game let me get back into it, great

Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    The general AI isn't that convincing either though. When you do something violent those near by gasp and shout. Some run or change direction. But a few meters away the rest are acting normally just walking along. It doesn't give the right atmosphere to the game.
    I'd disagree with that, people in the city hear screams and accidents all the time, so they're "immune" to those and consider it just some background noise, just minding their own business, following the path of the day...

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    But not when you just threw a car straight through a load of people and it exploded killing more. While people just walk past the scene on the other side of the road, or drive past. I didn't think that was very convincing behaviour. But, it is a little niggle for what is otherwise a fun game to play.

It's always caturday! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    My guess is that they're video game players so exploding vehicles and bodies is normality.

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have it for the PS3 but didn't test it yet, will probably do so this week.

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    hmm, sounds interesting...but hmm. I just need a game to have that certain "something" not sure this game has it?
    Check out my blog - submeg.com/

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The problem with Prototype is that you have to work to really unlock and appreciate everything the game has to offer. It all starts off well with some great fast paced action and leads you though initial events well. However you are then dropped straight into the game world, a bit like GTA, and you have to wonder around trying to work out what to do next. If you head for any of the icons on the map you will soon find ways to progress the main story, or to unlock extras and try out mini quests to achieve things like the longest jump.

But if you don't have the patience to explore the game would get boring pretty fast. When I first fired it up and got to the free roaming part I spent some time just running around the game world trying things out. Throwing cars through crowds, taking on the identity of different people, building up points to buy additional abilities and then testing them all out, running up buildings... and then I got bored and closed the game down.

I'm glad I fired it back up a couple of days later though because I then headed for the closest icon on the map and started to play through the actual game story and this is where it starts to get good.

It's a evil super hero game meets a zombie kill fest. Great fun if you like arcade games.

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you think this game sounds interesting but are uncertain you should consider Infamous which is a PS3 exclusive. It is exactly the same type of game, a sandbox city with you controllling a guy with superpowers, deciding yourself if you want to use them for good or evil. Reviewers are consistently scoring it higher than Prototype too, saying that Infamous at least equals Protoypes good bits and has none of the bad ones. I haven't played Prototype myself so can't comment on the accuracy of that, but I recently played through Infamous twice just to get both endings, and I rarely bother to get to the end of a game even once these days.

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    that sounds the better option, seeing as I have a PS3

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Went to the movies to see Transformers 2, I liked it. But during the previews, they showed Infamous cut scence. looks like fun! Will be getting it, will let you know when I do!