In my opinion, DVD is good enough.
    If I really want that 'cineame experience' ... I'll go down the cinema

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Except, since the dawn of HD I've always thought the cinema image looks a bit fuzzy and soft. However I agree it is still the best place to enjoy a film.

Unless that is you want to relax and chill out with some snacks and a load of ice cold beers, and be in the sweet spot of a well setup surround sound system.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Dangerous Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    at the end of the day, I love my films, but I don't have the room for a decent setup and really couldn't care less.
    My old stereo widescreen CRT TV with my DVD player is good enough for me

Average Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Blu-ray? I've only just got around to Bluetooth! (Next on my list is wireless connectivity.)

Dangerous Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by woody.cool View Post
    at the end of the day, I love my films, but I don't have the room for a decent setup and really couldn't care less.
    My old stereo widescreen CRT TV with my DVD player is good enough for me
    .... it also doesn't help that I have very little funds these days

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm currently still happy with upscaled DVDs running on our 37" Panny. Not that we watch many of those. However I would like 1080p plasma and a blu ray player..... but would we still just watch things through the V+ box?

Can't remember the last time we rented or bought a Disc

It's always caturday! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Erm... bump?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've still not got a Blu-Ray player yet. We do have an HDTV and SkyHD so are watching films in HD, along with many other things.

As was said before, I don't think currently I would buy or watch that much on Blu-Ray. I will eventually upgrade and buy specific films, but gone are the days when I even buy DVDs because they might look good. I tend to wait for them to be on TV now, or watch them at the cinema first, and then just buy my favourites.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Adventurer Speed Biker Champion, Tadpole Champion, Pearl Hunt Champion, Spacerunner 2 Champion, Marble Mayhem Champion, Galaxians Champion, Starfrosch Champion, K Tire Racing Champion, Way of the stick Champion Phantom's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The leap from VHS to DVD was really huge, as we went from analog to digital. But from DVD to BluRay was not too much, because both are digital, so the differences are not the same as VHS to DVD, that's true.

But with BluRay, home-cinema experience goes far more. My only BluRay player is that of Sony's PS3, which do the job very well.

On the other hand, if you have a big 1080p TV-Set and DD surround system in your house, then BluRay it's definetely far beyond DVD, for movie maniacs like me.

To fully enjoy your BluRay experience you MUST have the appropriate equipment in your house, and now with the introduction of the new 3D TVs, you imagine where we are heading.

Till now, normal TVs have the ancient standard method of 3D, you know, those red-cyan glasses, which has nothing to do with the 3D you're watching at cinemas now. But with the new 3D TVs, you are gonna have a full cinema experience in your living-room, and that's cool (cause I hate cinemas).
    [b]To Be A True Adventurer, You Ought To Play Real Text Adventures[/b]

Poor Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have made the jump to Blu-Ray and I love it! I will mention however, that I still buy DVD's for movies, documentaries etc. that don't really benefit from HD... (Generally I feel the Action, Sci-Fi, Fantasy type movies REALLY benefit from HD so I will buy all of those in Blu-Ray... But some of the more mundane dramas, comedies etc. that are just straightforward films with little to no special effects or action I continue to buy in DVD as they are considerably cheaper. And my wife enjoys various "Chick-flicks" and these we continue to buy in DVD as long as they are available too. (My wife's eyes are not as good as mine and she doesn't see much difference between the two formats)

And I see a HUGE difference, but not everything benefits from it so I pick and choose as long as we will have the choice.. (Probably not for too long)

I have also made the jump to a Blu-Ray burner for my PC and it is nice to save LOTS of data onto one disc, but much the same as when DVD's hit the market, burning can be a bit frustrating. I have had some issues with making coasters and am not certain I have ironed out all the problems... I haven't yet burned a 50 Gig dual layer disc as they are stupid expensive, but once the prices drop to reasonable levels I will burn all my apps to one and I also have all of my OSes saved along with often used drivers, service packs, documentation etc... Everything from Win98 through WIN7 along with Novell, Linux, Apple stuff... (You get the idea)
    "Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence." Line from RAMBO