Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

British GP at Silverstone for the final time!

It is quite sad knowing that this will be the final British Brand Prix held at Silverstone. I've always really enjoyed this circuit, with its fast corners and complex. Will you also be sad to see Silverstone gone from F1?

Sadly I couldn't afford to go this year so won't get to see the final race live, but I will definitely be watching it live on TV.

Can Jenson win his home Grand Prix? I really hope so. It will be great. He is just on another level this year and Brawn GP have been amazing. They really deserve it.

Not sure what to think of the British GP moving to Donington next year for at least the next 10 years. I've always liked the track when watching Touring car or MOTOGP, due to it making racing close, and also really enjoyed racing on the track in games such as the TOCA series, and MOTOGP, but it has always seemed too narrow and small for F1 to race there. So I really hope these upgrades do something about that, but without ruining the existing track, or we won't see much overtaking. However with the couple of really sharp bends the track has it could see some good clashes and possible crashes. Maybe even on those last two bends when it is quite slow. It is a shame the Dunlop bridge has been removed though.
    Last edited by Harrison; 16th June 2009 at 13:41.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    And if you are interested in seeing what the redesigned and updated Donington Park track will look like, they have a simulated lap on their website here. Definitely looks a huge upgrade from the existing track.
    Last edited by Harrison; 16th June 2009 at 13:40.

Mostly Harmless Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think they are cannibalizing another great track as is Donington, just to cope for F1.

As Silverstone is a great track for F1, Donington was for bike racing. As turned out they've swapped camps, F1 to Donington (we have to see next year how good it turn out, or not) and MOTOGP for Silverstone, which is a boring track for bike racing in my opinion.

Regarding the championship i would like to see Jenson grab this up too. Rubens is much of a cry boy that can't handle the pressure of having a faster driver than him. So he mumbles and cry.

BrawnGP as showed nothing more of professionalism this season, and with Jenson this is turning out perfect this season for them and shows for once the real talent that Jenson is.

For those who dare! ClassicWB dev
    VIP
    Forum Mod
    Chopper Challenge Champion, The Collector Champion, BombJack Arcade Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Paintballing - Assault Champion, Tower 13 - Adventures In Body Saving Champion, Himalayaya Champion, Sea Dogs Champion, Yeti Sports 1- Long Shot Version Champion, Operation Switchover Champion Bloodwych's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Strange season and year in F1 this with all the rule changes and Button walking away with the championship.

It may be the last race at Silverstone, but what a last race to finish on! English world champion and another English driver and team leading this years championship! Fantastic!

And to top it all off, no add breaks and BBC's brilliant webpage/red button coverage of all practice sessions! Superb!

I'd have preferred the race to stay at Silverstone but I don't want to delve too much into the background politics, because as you know it's a deep conversation. I can't believe how much politics rules the F1 headlines the last few years. It's almost as if in winter they get together on Flav's boat and think of antics they can create to gain press coverage for the year.

As long as we get a British grand prix I'm happy. Donnington, Silverstone doesn't really bother me greatly to be honest as they are both historic tracks. If we lost another standard European fixture to a money bags middle eastern country (that gets poor crowds but gains plenty of dosh for greedy Bernie), then I'll kick off. We don't have a god given right to host a GP of course, but the heart of F1 always felt European to me.

I'm overall a little gutted the classic tracks of the eighties/nineties I grew up with are slowly fading away for bore-fests like some of the new street circuits or the lifeless tracks out in the deserts with empty grandstands. But there is little I can do to change it.
    Live Long and Procrastinate
    A500 Batman Pack
    Classic Workbench

Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Silverstone is a great circuit. One of my my favorites.

they are killing all the good circuits left:

Estoril - The older one, one of the pilot's favorites - gone
    Silverstone - Gone
    Hockenheim the old one, very very fast circuit - gone, now they have a modified circuit - crap!
    Monza - Still the same, for how long?
    Spa-Francorchamps - last year????????? my old time favorite circuit!!!

Monaco - the Estoril circuit and so many others had to improve a lot of things for safety reasons... WTF ???????? Monaco it the most dangerous circuit ever!! WTF??? is still races in there? Glamour? famous people? fxxx!!!! the rules are for all circuits
    A500 - A600 - A1200

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiago View Post
    Silverstone is a great circuit. One of my my favorites.

they are killing all the good circuits left:

Estoril - The older one, one of the pilot's favorites - gone
    Silverstone - Gone
    Hockenheim the old one, very very fast circuit - gone, now they have a modified circuit - crap!
    Monza - Still the same, for how long?
    Spa-Francorchamps - last year????????? my old time favorite circuit!!!

Monaco - the Estoril circuit and so many others had to improve a lot of things for safety reasons... WTF ???????? Monaco it the most dangerous circuit ever!! WTF??? is still races in there? Glamour? famous people? fxxx!!!! the rules are for all circuits

I agree with you Tiago, 100%. And you named all the great ones. I only expect that Monza and Spa could survive. They are amazing tracks.

And about Estoril it is one of the least interesting tracks I've driven on a track day. 2nd- 3rd, 2nd-3rd gear almost 75% of the time.
    I've never driven on old Estoril, but i've been there many times watching several races and F1. Without those f**** chicanes that now exist, heading to the parabolica at 250kmh+ was only for the brave one!!

About Monaco, only one word: mon$y

For those who dare! ClassicWB dev
    VIP
    Forum Mod
    Chopper Challenge Champion, The Collector Champion, BombJack Arcade Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Paintballing - Assault Champion, Tower 13 - Adventures In Body Saving Champion, Himalayaya Champion, Sea Dogs Champion, Yeti Sports 1- Long Shot Version Champion, Operation Switchover Champion Bloodwych's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    So true Tiago! You just reminded me, Hockenheim.

I used to love the sight of the cars pulling 200+ MPH down that long straight with trees either side of them. A classic spectacle of F1, just like Spa and Au Rouge!

Shame. I used to know all the classics off by heart via F1GP on the Amiga!

Quote Originally Posted by xpect View Post
    Without those f**** chicanes that now exist
    Do you like the new temporary ones and bollards they hap-hazardly setup these days? The ones that all the F1 drivers bounce over or cut across. Horrible.
    Last edited by Bloodwych; 16th June 2009 at 13:41. Reason: Double posting - posts have been automerged
    Live Long and Procrastinate
    A500 Batman Pack
    Classic Workbench

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I also used to love the long straights of Hockenheim. It was a very sad day when they changed it for the current boring nearly circular layout.

How long till we start racing on oval circuits to attract the American audience? If that ever happened I would stop watching!

Regarding Silverstone. Did you all know that the first ever F1 race was held there? Therefore it is very sad to see it go. As for a British GP. It would be madness not to have one when you consider the heart of F1 is in England, with most of the teams being based here.

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I won't be sad as I'm not watching F1 and no motorsports at all. I prefer ballsports, in both ways

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodwych View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by xpect View Post
    Without those f**** chicanes that now exist
    Do you like the new temporary ones and bollards they hap-hazardly setup these days? The ones that all the F1 drivers bounce over or cut across. Horrible.

You got me confused here Bloodwych I was referring the chicanes that exist in Estoril since 1994 before the Parabolica curve in particular, not chicanes that are in F1 circuits. If you remember the circuit back then was amazing with a very speedy right hander then left hander then the mighty Parabolica.

Those chicanes you refer, i do not remember being used in permanent circuits for years. But i agree with you, they were/are horrible.