Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    For those who dare! ClassicWB dev
    VIP
    Forum Mod
    Chopper Challenge Champion, The Collector Champion, BombJack Arcade Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Paintballing - Assault Champion, Tower 13 - Adventures In Body Saving Champion, Himalayaya Champion, Sea Dogs Champion, Yeti Sports 1- Long Shot Version Champion, Operation Switchover Champion Bloodwych's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Nice small utility for Desktop icons

Ever had that horrible situation where you've arranged your icons all nice on the desktop then lost their positions? Happens randomly or when changing screen resolutions yes?

It's so annoying and I can't believe a recover option has never been added to the Windows context menu. In the past, I've used Iconian - but it's memory resident and too heavy for what I want - a very simple icon position recovery tool.

Found this today and it does exactly what I want:

http://www.midiox.com/desktoprestore.htm

Such a simple addition to the context menu, but SOOOOO essential! Love it!
    Last edited by Bloodwych; 14th June 2009 at 13:38.
    Live Long and Procrastinate
    A500 Batman Pack
    Classic Workbench

Poor My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    very handy indeed!

tx

It's always caturday! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I had plenty of those silly situations, but personally I hate installing all those tiny little apps just to do one single task.
    I just reorganized the way I store my fav prog's shortcuts and first put them into the Start menu, but that was a long and painful way to check some, so I created a different [backup] folder containing all the icons and created a toolbar shortcut to them on my taskbar.
    Now all it takes are two clicks to run most of my favorite proggies and I don't have to go back to my desktop to search for that huge icon.

Dangerous Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It's a shame that Windows doesn't have "Snapshot" and "Unsnapshot" that Amiga Workbench had

It's always caturday! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Haha, yeah, ain't it the truth
    We probably all learned it the hard way when we lost our precisly pix-perfect set icons

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    My desktop regulaly gets changed after changing screen resolutions, so I installed the app.

Thanks

VIP
    Forum Mod
    Chopper Challenge Champion, The Collector Champion, BombJack Arcade Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Paintballing - Assault Champion, Tower 13 - Adventures In Body Saving Champion, Himalayaya Champion, Sea Dogs Champion, Yeti Sports 1- Long Shot Version Champion, Operation Switchover Champion Bloodwych's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoonay View Post
    I had plenty of those silly situations, but personally I hate installing all those tiny little apps just to do one single task.
    I agree - that's why I was happy to find this over the memory resident app Iconian. All this does is add three extra entires to your desktop context menu and writes the results to the registry, like all other windows settings in control panel for example. It's not memory resident or an application at all. Just a small extension that seemlessly integrates into Windows.

You do seem to have a good system that works for you anyway, so it probably won't be of use. I think it's great!
    Last edited by Bloodwych; 15th June 2009 at 18:38.
    A500 Batman Pack
    Classic Workbench

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Always useful to have such a utility as it is annoying when they all move around with resolution changes.

However I use a program called UltraMON which has this feature built in. If you don't know what this program is, it is designed to multi-monitor setups so you can configure how the tool bar works on each of the screens, how the background image is displayed across them all, and other things like controlling each monitors resolution. It is agreat utility that I highly recommend for all those with 2 monitors.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Mostly Harmless Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I tend to put on quick launch my really everyday apps, about 7, but quick launch is compressed only to show 3 icons in a way to maximise space. Then i create desktop folders to put the shortcuts in. The motive of doing this was precisely what Bloodwych said because of icons getting all messed up and lately a good way of having everything organized.

I'm also picky about having unnecessary tools running in the background. But this tool is indeed a good find for anyone relying on 'everything on the desktop'.

VIP
    Forum Mod
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah, I use the quick launch bar too and "Total Commander" mainly for launching rather than explorer. I still like to have a few icons on my desktop however and it's nice to "snapshot" them as woody mentioned.
    A500 Batman Pack
    Classic Workbench